Review of Brittany trip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now that we have been back for a few days I thought it may be useful to post about our experience. We went out Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to St Malo, overnight crossing booked via CAMC. My memory had played tricks and I had forgotten how many families are on the ferry in August. We weren't stopped or checked at Porstmouth and on arrival in St Malo had passports checked and stamped and we were away.
While we were away we saw 1 set of temporary traffic lights in 14 days, where a bridge was being repainted. We only came across roadworks in Caen on the way back.
We found that Bread, Water, Wine and Beer and parking were noticeably cheaper than UK, with clothing shoes etc more expensive. Food in supermarkets and local markets was more expensive than UK but the quality of the fruit and veg seemed better
It was particularly noticeable how menus now feature much more English below the French, and also how many of the young people working in the bars and cafes etc asked us if we would mind them speaking English, as they wanted to practice.
The site we stayed on staff spoke several languages , although it took 5 attempts to get the hot water boiler fixed in our showering shed, and there seemed a very relaxed attitude to the site rules, around pitches and the pool area,but overall we enjoyed ourselves and continue to wonder what the French go without that we enjoy in this country. They still close for 2 hours at lunchtime in some of the towns, and appear to have lots of new roundabouts on their well maintained roads
We came back on Brittany Ferries Caen to Portsmouth overnight, and were stopped and asked to open caravan for inspection both leaveing Caen and arriving in Portsmouth,there were a lot fewer families on the ferry back, I suspect because the little darlings had to go back to school.
The other thing I had forgotten was the French take their holidays in August , and by the end of the month the site was less than 1/3 full.
Other highlight was we needed to visit a caravan dealer for a new chair, and while there we looked at some caravans on the forecourt, most seemed to have fixed double bed across the front and a variety of differnt layouts in the rest of the van,but prices seemed reasonable for used caravans, although the dealership again appeared to be quite casual regarding their storage area, workshop and show room ,certainly not like the dealerships over here. Still amazed at the knife stalls in the markets, b einterested to find out how knife crime in France compares as they were freely available.
To come back we filled up with diesel at local supermarket, card only on the pump, but all instructions were available in English, price was more than UK after exchange rate, with the supermarkets offering slightly cheaper prices than roadside.
Still some evidence of Covid measures in places, but nowhere did we see card only signs for payment, in fact most shops seemed very happy to accept cash,although our site had a bracelet system that was used to pay in the bar, restaurant, shop, but you still needed cash for launderatte or games room.
We plan to go back in June next year, which is our usual time, but hope anybody thinking of going first time finds this helpful

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now that we have been back for a few days I thought it may be useful to post about our experience. We went out Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to St Malo, overnight crossing booked via CAMC. My memory had played tricks and I had forgotten how many families are on the ferry in August. We weren't stopped or checked at Porstmouth and on arrival in St Malo had passports checked and stamped and we were away.
While we were away we saw 1 set of temporary traffic lights in 14 days, where a bridge was being repainted. We only came across roadworks in Caen on the way back.
We found that Bread, Water, Wine and Beer and parking were noticeably cheaper than UK, with clothing shoes etc more expensive. Food in supermarkets and local markets was more expensive than UK but the quality of the fruit and veg seemed better
It was particularly noticeable how menus now feature much more English below the French, and also how many of the young people working in the bars and cafes etc asked us if we would mind them speaking English, as they wanted to practice.
The site we stayed on staff spoke several languages , although it took 5 attempts to get the hot water boiler fixed in our showering shed, and there seemed a very relaxed attitude to the site rules, around pitches and the pool area,but overall we enjoyed ourselves and continue to wonder what the French go without that we enjoy in this country. They still close for 2 hours at lunchtime in some of the towns, and appear to have lots of new roundabouts on their well maintained roads
We came back on Brittany Ferries Caen to Portsmouth overnight, and were stopped and asked to open caravan for inspection both leaveing Caen and arriving in Portsmouth,there were a lot fewer families on the ferry back, I suspect because the little darlings had to go back to school.
The other thing I had forgotten was the French take their holidays in August , and by the end of the month the site was less than 1/3 full.
Other highlight was we needed to visit a caravan dealer for a new chair, and while there we looked at some caravans on the forecourt, most seemed to have fixed double bed across the front and a variety of differnt layouts in the rest of the van,but prices seemed reasonable for used caravans, although the dealership again appeared to be quite casual regarding their storage area, workshop and show room ,certainly not like the dealerships over here. Still amazed at the knife stalls in the markets, b einterested to find out how knife crime in France compares as they were freely available.
To come back we filled up with diesel at local supermarket, card only on the pump, but all instructions were available in English, price was more than UK after exchange rate, with the supermarkets offering slightly cheaper prices than roadside.
Still some evidence of Covid measures in places, but nowhere did we see card only signs for payment, in fact most shops seemed very happy to accept cash,although our site had a bracelet system that was used to pay in the bar, restaurant, shop, but you still needed cash for launderatte or games room.
We plan to go back in June next year, which is our usual time, but hope anybody thinking of going first time finds this helpful
Thanks an interesting report. Must admit we loved our holidays in France whether camping or caravanning and as you say there’s some undefinable difference that makes it so enjoyable.

Wrt knives we visited Laigoule years ago and bought some steak knives and they are still razor sharp. I also bought an Opinel knive in a market which I regularly carried, but with the change to our laws it would be illegal to carry it without just cause, even though it’s only a five inch blades. But it does go out with me if camping.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Brittany is our main holiday every year. We have recently returned and already booked next years ferry. We stay at a small site about eighty miles from Roscoff virtually on the beach. Supermarket five kilometres away with produce that puts Sainsburys to shame. Fresh fish and lobster, campsite feast. Slow rural pace of life with coffee and sundowners in the local village square. Mind you, when it rains it rains, very similar weather to Cornwall but a little better.
Roll on next year
👍🍷

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have always wanted to go to Brittany and reading this has given me some good advice we would be looking at September because we have some breaks booked already next year .with me been disabled can you park your car near a lift .on ferry we might be looking at a cottage or Gites . (y)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Beachball: Below is from Brittany ferries website:
All of our cruise ferries have lifts to help you when leaving the vehicle decks and while moving around the ship during the voyage. If you need to be parked close to a lift, it is essential that you tell us when making your booking and again at ticket check-in. The limited spaces for wheelchair passengers close to the lifts are only allocated to passengers with a disability on a first come first served basis, at the time of booking. The loading crew will do their best to help you negotiate the busy garage and make your way to the lifts; this will be a little more tricky during peak holiday times and we will be happy to advise you of the best routes and times to travel for maximum space and comfort.

There is an also a whole section on access for disabled passengers that you may find helpful.
Mel

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have always wanted to go to Brittany and reading this has given me some good advice we would be looking at September because we have some breaks booked already next year .with me been disabled can you park your car near a lift .on ferry we might be looking at a cottage or Gites . (y)
Gites de France do some nice properties. But don‘t rule out statics or chalets via Eurocamp or Canvas Holidays. We booked two weeks in Dordogne on a 5 star site on the river, with restaurant, bar etc for under £700 and it had three bedrooms, aircon, deck and bbq etc. Even with the ferry Portsmouth to Caen (£400 ish). it was cheaper than two weeks in Northumberland.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
All of our cruise ferries have lifts to help you when leaving the vehicle decks and while moving around the ship during the voyage. If you need to be parked close to a lift, it is essential that you tell us when making your booking and again at ticket check-in. The limited spaces for wheelchair passengers close to the lifts are only allocated to passengers with a disability on a first come first served basis, at the time of booking. The loading crew will do their best to help you negotiate the busy garage and make your way to the lifts; this will be a little more tricky during peak holiday times and we will be happy to advise you of the best routes and times to travel for maximum space and comfort.

There is an also a whole section on access for disabled passengers that you may find helpful.
Mel
Regarding mobility issues and Brittany Ferries. Fortunately I don’t have any mobility issues but when booking I would just ensure that you get the correct cabin to suit your needs. Cabins range vastly in size and space.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When you book on the Brittany website there is a section where you tick to say your have mobility issues and you need to be near a lift On arrival at the docks display your BB and they ensure that you are close to a lift. I have never had any issues with Brittany ferries as they look after you. We have seen loads of people on ferries using wheelchairs no problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Beachball
When loading Brittany Ferries prioritise people with mobility issues, you need to ensure that you advisethem of yor needs when booking, they then load you, almost the first people on the boat, you are singled out at the port and you load with your hazard flashers on. When you get to the port you are identified by your car registration, so essential to give the correct details at time of booking.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hello Beachball
When loading Brittany Ferries prioritise people with mobility issues, you need to ensure that you advisethem of yor needs when booking, they then load you, almost the first people on the boat, you are singled out at the port and you load with your hazard flashers on. When you get to the port you are identified by your car registration, so essential to give the correct details at time of booking.
I'd have thought that was fairly standard practice everywhere - Calmac do the same on Scottish ferries.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Mel
Hi Mel Thanks for the information

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Gites de France do some nice properties. But don‘t rule out statics or chalets via Eurocamp or Canvas Holidays. We booked two weeks in Dordogne on a 5 star site on the river, with restaurant, bar etc for under £700 and it had three bedrooms, aircon, deck and bbq etc. Even with the ferry Portsmouth to Caen (£400 ish). it was cheaper than two weeks in Northumberland.
Hi clive will stored it for future reference when planning holiday will come in useful

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When you book on the Brittany website there is a section where you tick to say your have mobility issues and you need to be near a lift On arrival at the docks display your BB and they ensure that you are close to a lift. I have never had any issues with Brittany ferries as they look after you. We have seen loads of people on ferries using wheelchairs no problem.
On that trip i be taking my mobility scooter have you seen many on ferries ?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Rather than all the hassle of lifts and using your mobility "Chariot" on the Ferry, why not use the Tunnel, and have a leisurely drive along the coast from Calais.
My wife hates ferries, more so now than years ago. This means I have to drive across the country, from Gloucester to Folkstone, to catch the Eurotunnel, then a similar distance through France to get to Brittany or if visiting the Atlantic coast.

But the train is excellent.

Bless her.

Re mobility. We went DFDS earlier this year (no wife). A similar situation as other ferries to stop near to the lift. But the lift was awkward being crowded with able-bodied people, having tight corners and door cills to manage. I was in a basic wheelchair, so not too bad, but a lady in a powered wheelchair really struggled even with an able-bodied helper. I don't think a scooter would have fitted.

But it was all worth it.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Rather than all the hassle of lifts and using your mobility "Chariot" on the Ferry, why not use the Tunnel, and have a leisurely drive along the coast from Calais.
The tunnel would have been great if i did not suffer with my mobility issues but we want a quicker route and not much driving .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The tunnel would have been great if i did not suffer with my mobility issues but we want a quicker route and not much driving .
The tunnel is a quicker route to France as the Ferry takes several hours and it would be best to also book a cabin. If you are taking your dog with the dog will need an Animal Health certificate. When on the ferry to France we leave ours in the caravan, but you can leave yours in the car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The tunnel is a quicker route to France as the Ferry takes several hours and it would be best to also book a cabin. If you are taking your dog with the dog will need an Animal Health certificate. When on the ferry to France we leave ours in the caravan, but you can leave yours in the car.
The tunnel might be quicker but it the driving i am not sure of that why we thought of the ferry because it would take us to Saint- Malo .Brittany also the cabin would be great

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The tunnel might be quicker but it the driving i am not sure of that why we thought of the ferry because it would take us to Saint- Malo .Brittany also the cabin would be great
The problem for us with the St Malo ferry is that it travels over night and the noise of the engine keeps you awake most of the night and then you need to get up quite early the next morning. The return trip during the day seems to take forever and is extremely boring. I doubt very much if we will ever use the St Malo ferry again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beacball
If you go to Brittany Ferries website, you can check sailing times through most of 2024, we have learnt over the years that it suits us to do 815pm out of Portsmouth, with an outside cabin, we book a 4 berth, even though there are only 2of us, so more space and a lower bunk each, this crossing then arrives in St Malo roughly 7.30 am French time. We like a Saturday night crossing, as French roads are quieter on Sundays because some lorries are not allowed,means a more relaxed drive. A 3 hour drive will get you into the heart of Brittany,and if you have never been before I would say somewher around Carnac would give you plenty of options.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Buckman
As Beachball would say ' to each his own' I get the point about engine noise, but that is the same on any ferry we have used,the engine noise is less the higher up the boat your cabin is, we made a mistake of booking late one year and we were just above the lorry deck, and could hear the tie down chains clanking all night, so now we try to book early, last year we booked the ferry in October for the trip we have just had,all ferry crossings seem boring hence why we choose to sleep through it.As far as I am aware St Malo has a night crossingto Portsmouth, but only on Tuesday, so we come back via Caen as arrives in Portsmouth 7.30 ish but may not be suitable for Beachball as longer drive back to Caen from Brittany

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Beacball
If you go to Brittany Ferries website, you can check sailing times through most of 2024, we have learnt over the years that it suits us to do 815pm out of Portsmouth, with an outside cabin, we book a 4 berth, even though there are only 2of us, so more space and a lower bunk each, this crossing then arrives in St Malo roughly 7.30 am French time. We like a Saturday night crossing, as French roads are quieter on Sundays because some lorries are not allowed,means a more relaxed drive. A 3 hour drive will get you into the heart of Brittany,and if you have never been before I would say somewher around Carnac would give you plenty of options.
Hi Thanks for the information this what we need what the roads like in France i driven in Spain is it similar?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Consider the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry - it's very competitive on price, gets you nearer to Brittany than the tunnel and is a convenient break for the driver.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beachball
Can't speak for Spain, but in 15 days in France we only saw 1 set of temporary traffic lights and 1 set of roadworks. No potholes, and in parts of Brittany they have roundabouts rather than cross roads,the road surface is generally very smooth,and most of the route from St Malo to Brittany is dual carriageway, with regular aires to stop for breaks. The aires vary from simple stopping areas to similar to our motorway services. The routes around Rennes and Vannes are well signed and our sat nav seemed to work better in France than England.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts