RM4270 Fridge problem

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
I have a problem with my fridge, it's stopped cooling. I've read numerous reasons as to why it's stopped working, but I'm stuck with the first bit. How to get the fridge out of its slot in the caravan. I've undone and removed the four screws inside the walls of the fridge, disconnected the flue and grills outside. It's loose in as much that I can pull it away at the top, by about two inches, but it's stuck fast at the bottom. Have I missed a fixing somewhere, or is it just being stubborn and some extra force is needed to free it ?. All advice will be greatly appreciated. B)

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Have you disconnected the gas supply. Also the 230volt and the 12volt electric supply. The fridge wont come out until that's done. When the fridge is refitted and the gas is reconnected, it's most important that the system is pressure tested.

May 20, 2017
Visit site
It's probably the gas line that's holding it. Also, sometimes, there's a slight lip on the floor that stops the fridge sliding forward. Try to lift the front a few millimetres.

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I would like to get to that stage, but it's stuck fast at the bottom. I can move the top out about two inches, but the bottom won't budge. I understand I have to disconnect the services before it will come right out, but the bottom has to come free to allow the unit to come out at least six inches, to gain access.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Remember that the whole interior of a caravan is put in place BEFORE the walls are added. :evil: That means you may not be able to access some of the fixings easily, if at all.

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Ok guys, the fridge is out. Swift in their wisdom relied on a black sticky glue like substance , to stick the fridge in, as well as the screws, belt and braces I suppose. However a bit of brute force and it did eventually give way, and I was able to get it out.
Next problem is to find the fault. I'm trying the upside down method first, if that doesn't work I'll be testing the element and the thermostat. With a bit of luck one of these should fix it. There's no sign of any leaks of fluid, it just stopped working on 240v. I tried the gas, but that didn't work either, it just got the fridge hot inside instead of cooling. So it all looks like a circulation problem.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with the fridge/freezer in my Unicorn 3. As we are, at present, living in the 'van the fridge wasn't moved for some time - when we did move it, the fridge started working. The problem was diagnosed by Dometic as the main cooling unit. Apparently, when the cooling pipes at the back are "bent" during manufacture sometimes the curve is too sharp and small impurities can block the cooling liquid. When the fridge is moved, the blockage moves and the fridge works - hence the upside down method sometimes works. Due to the non-cooperation of my dealer, Dometic themselves replaced the cooling unit and everything works as it should.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts