Robust caravan washing brush

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My caravan washing brush has just broken and this is the third in two years. It was made by Kent and like the previous two had a male Hoselock type connector which was inserted into a female connector on the end of the water hose. When washing the caravan roof the brush is horizontal and the hose tends to drop away from the brush handle at 90 degrees, which puts strain on the Hoselock-type coupling. This then breaks and I get jetted with water.
I was going to convert it to a normal screw type connector where the hosepipe is just pushed into a female socket on the end of the brush and the socket outer ring is then screwed up which firmly clamps the hose. But the end fittings were not suitable.
can anyone recemmend a robust type cleaning brush. No panic as the van is in store and even if used over winter will not be washed until nearer April.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I bought a similar one from Towsure a few years ago and that broke after a couple of uses. Since than I have used a soft floor broom in one hand and the hosepipe with trigger jet/nozzle in the other. Works every time.
smiley-smile.gif

You could ty-rap the hose to the handle of the broom so the water is external and not feed-through.
smiley-wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I had to resort to your approach to do the van this time. Other thing I might try is to use a length of poly pipe to slide over the hoselock joint to try and take the displacement load away from the coupling.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Yes I had to resort to your approach to do the van this time. Other thing I might try is to use a length of poly pipe to slide over the hoselock joint to try and take the displacement load away from the coupling.
That sounds like a plan worth trying - I've had the same on a previous brush-hose and my current one is starting to do the same - I'll try your idea before I buy a new brush though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
otherclive said:
That sounds like a plan worth trying - I've had the same on a previous brush-hose and my current one is starting to do the same - I'll try your idea before I buy a new brush though.

Roger,
please let me know if it works as I dont plan on any brush wielding much before April!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a smilar brush and suffered the same problem. I've now converted the end fitting to include a 1/4 turn ball valve and then a metal male connector to connect to the hose end.
I make up a bucket with a fairly strong solution of Fenwicks and apply it with the water to the brush turned off at the handle. Then turn the water on and brush and rise off all in one go. The brush is telescopic so extended can be dipped into the bucket on the ground without having to come down the steps - great fpr cleaning the roof. I think the brush came originally from Screwfix or Toolstation.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes that's my technique for washing the van, and once you have done it that way it seems incredibly inefficient to use the brush to apply the detergent, then a spray to wash it off, then going over again with the brush etc etc. Although I use a cheap garden spray from B&Q (Verve) which is realy intended for getting to hanging baskets and containers where you have to reach. It only cost about £14 and teh various nozzles are really useful. One is a fine mist which literally dissolves mud from under the cars better and less risky than a jet washer. But I do want to get back to the extending washer brush with its own water supply. I'll have a look at the Screwfix website.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had similar brush problems and replaced the fittings with brass connectors,I have also seen a spring fitted around the outside of the hose where it joins the fitting and that seems to stop the hose dropping at 90 degrees,it is about 6 inches long and fits tightly around the hose.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I got fed up with brushes so got a window cleaning kit from home bargains which had an extenderble pole and a bar with a soft fluffy cover, works much better thn a brush on the roof. I also use Auto Glym caravan cleaner , spray on , wipe with a cloth and wash off , job done. Cleaned the van today, took 45 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts