Rock and a hard place?

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
For several months now I have been trying to find a diesel replacement for our aging petrol V70. Thought I had found it at last, then I learnt of the dreaded DPF, let me say at this point that I am looking for a car no more than 2 years old, which will be possibly our last car.
My daily drive is no more than 8 miles with a caravan tow of perhaps 100 miles omce a month. I have no wish to have a 30-40 minute thrash in 5th gear up the motor way, or to pay upwards of £200.00 to have the DPF cleaned. Caravaning can be expensive enough as it is without the additional costs for this procedure. The vehicle I had thought of buying is an X-Trail Tekna 173. I think the 'van is going to have to go as I am not prepared to pay a good sum of money to buy something I have been advised that I will have problems with.
I know this has been covered in previous posts (I have read them and numerous others on different foums) still, I welcome thoughts from others who perhaps have other ideas for me to consider.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Johnboy,

From your figures, your average mileage is under 500miles a month, (6000 pa) the benefits if diesel's economy will have a smaller impact on your fuel costs over the year. That coupled to the generally higher purchase cost of diesel cars (even second hand) and the generally higher service costs means that overall it is quite possible your running costs of diesel vs petrol will be quite similar. Running any engine for short journeys is not best for them as they may not get up to optimum engine temperature but probably diesels would suffer more than petrol

As yet another option, you might find a larger petrol based vehicle that has been converted to LPG. There are still running cost savings to be made with LPG, but the cost of conversion is quite high, and of course you need to be close enough to an LPG filling station.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
With that mileage, I would avoid a diesel too. Modern turbo petrols give plenty of torque, but can be thirsty is you drive them quickly. however at 6000 miles a year that will be less of an issue for you that with my 25000 a year.

What size is your van?
Mondeo turbo petrols are much cheaper used than the diesel equivalent & come with a twin clutch auto standard too. If I did less than 15000 miles a year I would have one of those over the diesel anyday.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for replies given so far. Our van is MPTLM of 1440kg. Diesels have more torque. Often site van in farm fields, wet, muddy etc.
A Petrol V6 4x4 Skoda Superb would do, but fuel costs to high. I really thought the X-Trail ticked all the boxes but I cannot clear this DPF issue from my mind, is it really fit for purpose?

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
johnboy said:
Thanks for replies given so far. Our van is MPTLM of 1440kg. Diesels have more torque. Often site van in farm fields, wet, muddy etc.
A Petrol V6 4x4 Skoda Superb would do, but fuel costs to high. I really thought the X-Trail ticked all the boxes but I cannot clear this DPF issue from my mind, is it really fit for purpose?
Why not look at a Hyundai Sante Fe, very good tow cars, not massively expenive to run, maybe a slight bit cheaper than the x trail, and you get 5 yr warranty!
I think diesels are better for towing. BUT thats my opinion tho

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The current trend for DPF is to site it nearer the exhaust manifold so that it will regenerate during shorter runs but although the new Renault 2ltr cdi has this you would have to check with Nissan who share some engines with Nissan. Also Nissan changed the DPF about 18 months ago to place a fuel injector on the DPF this avoiding the need to over fuel the engine and risk rising oil levels.

I do think though that with your mileage and how it is made up of short journeys not only will a diesel cost more to own but you still run the risk of DPF problems and EGR clogging as well as injectors too. Until 2004 all my towing was with a petrol and even with fwd I still had no problems getting off wet CLs. The torque on something like a Saab 2.3HPT comes in a seamless wave from low revs to max revs. I did carry some grp tracks just in case of difficulty getting off a pitch but never actually used them.

Ditch the diesel ditch the turbo and go for an XC70 with the naturally aspirated V6!!!!

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Otherclive. Interesting comment about the other injector, this is the reply from another forum regarding the Renault engine and the fifth injector "the additional M9R injector port was introduced to enhance the unit's economy, and has no actual bearing on the operation of the DPF". My present Volvo is giving me an average of 26mpg solo, the thought of a V6 terrifies me. I think I may have to bite the bullet and take a fortnightly blast up the M3

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
johnboy said:
I cannot clear this DPF issue from my mind, is it really fit for purpose?

If that is worrying you, just drive for 10-20 minutes at quite high revs about once a month, and that will burn off any deposits.
My mechanic mate has a rather charming phrase for this: something to do with a rag, and rude word for a bottom is mentioned somewhere.
Jim.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
im not sure about the x-trail but ive heard of people having their cars remapped and having the DPF system turned off and removed,
however if you are buying new or something with manufactures warrenty remaining it will then be void
smiley-frown.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The DPF on the Defender has been set up so as not to clog up because of them often just pootling around a farm all day so could always go for one of those. Having said that your fuel costs will be whoopie doo high!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The S3 Volvo D5 had problems when the DPF came in around 2007. DPF clogging and rising sump levels due to failed regeneration and over fuelling. Mainly affected cars used for very short trips or in congested traffic. From Owners Club posts the problems seem to have significantly reduced as Volvo have changed the software maps, regeneration speed and reduced by .5 ltr the sump level. I have done 25k miles and never had an issue. I would not remove the DPF as future MOT tests will check it. Mine will regenerate at around 1600 rpm do if I have been doing short trips or town driving I just put it in manual and drive with revs up to 2000 rpm where suitable. But you cannot regenerate if the DPF isn't showing sufficient pressure drop so I might just be wasting fuel but in 25k miles I have not had a problem.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I thank you all for your advice. When I decide what I intend to do I will use that advice, and let you know the outcome. So thanks once again, safe towing. DPF isn't really an EU plot to get diesel cars/caravans off the road. Paranoia is a terrible thing!, is it not.
smiley-wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good luck with the search make sure you come to a decision before EU6 hits diesels with a NOX catalytic filter that will make DPF look almost benign.

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I think you are getting a bit over concerned with something that wont neccessarily be a problem for you. I have driven cars with DPF filters for years from different manufacturers without any problems, my daily drive to work is just under 6 miles return. My father has just traded his 8 year old Merc E220 in for a new motor, that to has a DPF and when we have checked his annual mileages over the life of the vehicle he has only averaged 6000 miles a year yet has not had any problems.
If you are doing 100 miles a month towing this in my opinion will be sufficient to keep the DPF from clogging up, they dont have to be driven hard and fast to clean them just over a more prelonged distance. Using a better quality diesel may help as well. Most cars will have a warning light that comes on (my last car an Audi A6 did this) to warn you that the filter is getting clogged, when this comes on go out for the day and have a long run, you dont have to pay each time it comes on.
speak to the dealer, car dealers are struggling at the moment despite what they will tell you, get them to give you cover under the warranty to cover the DPF, the garage or dealership themselves can do this it doesnt just have to be the manufacturers warranty. Get them over a barrell and play dealerships off against each other it does work! My Dad ended up getting £2750 better deal at one Landrover dealer than another for an identical car, they even handled his cherished transfer and sent him on a landrover off roading course worth several hundred pounds. That was an ex demo car.
Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts