Roku Warranty Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Good morning all.
This isn't exactly caravan related except that it relates to an item I bought solely to use in my caravan. The item is a Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ which I bought in July 2021 and is covered by a two-year warranty. On April 15th this year after faultless performance it just died. I contacted Roku support who replied quickly with possible solutions but ultimately they agreed it was faulty and I returned it to them. The return was acknowledged and I was promised a replacement. On 4th May after hearing nothing, I chased it up and they asked me to be patient and wait a further 72 hours as there was a stock shortage. And, that was it, they've ignored all further emails. Now I'm in communication via the Roku Community forums and despite assurances that I will receive an update, nothing is forthcoming.
Furthermore, after checking the Roku website this morning I see that the particular device I bought is no longer available but, an updated alternative is.
I believe that under the terms of the warranty I should be supplied with a device of at least equal value and performance of the faulty item that it replaces.
I'm pretty certain that I know the answer to this but I just want to be sure.
Also, what should I do if Roku refuses to play ball?
It seems such a stupid situation. I've made a few warranty claims over the years and they have always gone smoothly.
I'm really surprised that a well-regarded company like Roku should prove so difficult.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly who did you buy it from? was it Roku direct?, or was it from a retailer? as who you buy from makes a difference on how to use your rights.

If you bought the device from a retailer, you have no automatic rights against the manufacturer, however most manufacturers do offer a Manufacturers warranty, but it is entirely separate and independent from the Consumer Rights Act.

Manufacturers do not have to offer any warranty, but when they do they can apply almost any terms and conditions they like, there is no legal format or level of service they have to follow, consequently you have to follow the T&C for the product you have bought if you choose to use the manufacturer's warranty.

As I don't have a copy of their T&C's its impossible to know whether they acting within the scope of their own T&C's or not.

If you bought directly from Roku, the CRA would apply becasue they have retailed the goods.

I doubt the goods cost more than £100 so you couldn't even use section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which makes the financier equally responsible for the goods.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Amazon can be tricky, some products they sell and are therefore are the retailer, and others they act as the shop window and there is seller behind (fulfilled by Amazon) so you may not realise that the goods were not actually sold by Amazon.

Regardless of who in the UK sold the item to you, they are required to comply with the CRA, and becasue its is a mail order scheme the Direct Selling Regulations.

Amazons 30 day right to return only applies if the customer changes their mind about the goods, It does not restrict your rights under the CRA if the goods are faulty.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to wade through Rokus T&C's as I don't have any of their products, but as you have found them I'm sure you can do so to see if they are acting within their own stated rules.

Ultimately if the company fails to act in accordance with its own warranty, and you have suffered a loss, you could seek to press a claim through the small claims court.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Thank you again ProfJohnL.
Admins can you close or remove this thread, please.

Remarkably, without any updates or notifications whatsoever from Roku themselves, a brand new streaming stick has just been delivered.
So, all's well that ends well. Happy days.

Reactions: otherclive
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts