Role reversal

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Here's one to satisfy my curiosity. It is sort of accepted that when the barbecue comes out men take over the cooking duties (does anyone know why?) I was wondering how many couples swap roles when away with the caravan? And why?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

Couldn't resist replying to this one....

At home, my husband is the cook. Whilst caravanning, I am the bbq person. At home, I can't cook to save my life, it just seems that everything in the kitchen (from the cooker to the microwave) is determined that anything I actually do attempt to cook must go wrong. However, put me in charge of barbecuing and it's a different story I can bbq anything to perfection whilst maintaining the highest possible food hygiene standards.

Not sure if I am correct but I think the 'male bbq thing' originated from Australia. My parents lived out there before moving to New Zealand for a few years. In Oz and NZ at the time particularly at parties, the men would be in one room and the women in another the men took control of the bbq.

Regards

lh

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Having lived in Aus for a couple of years I can confirm you are proberbly correct. The Ausy way of life dictates that the male takes over cooking at barby's. Funny when you consider that " its a Sheilas task" most of the time. I think its a bit like penis envy really.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

At home, my husband is the cook. Whilst caravanning, I am the bbq person. At home, I can't cook to save my life, it just seems that everything in the kitchen (from the cooker to the microwave) is determined that anything I actually do attempt to cook must go wrong. However, put me in charge of barbecuing and it's a different story I can bbq anything to perfection whilst maintaining the highest possible food hygiene standards.

Not sure if I am correct but I think the 'male bbq thing' originated from Australia. My parents lived out there before moving to New Zealand for a few years. In Oz and NZ at the time particularly at parties, the men would be in one room and the women in another the men took control of the bbq.

Regards

lh
Oz, the land of the kangaroo steaks, a low cholesterol, low fat red meat. Excellent for the bbq.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

Regards

lh
YUK!!! :)

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tina

I hope thats not a pop at us men in general (its ok if you are refering to Aussies) I can tell you youve never lived until you have tried my juicy meat!!!!!!!!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
It all goes back to when we lived in caves.When man first discovered how to make fire it was his duty to light and maintain it and cook the food that he had hunted that day.Being out in the wilds obviously brings back this instinct.Personally I just light the gas bbq and throw on the veggies my wife has lovingly prepared and hope for the best!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts