Roof boxes and roof bars

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone! I am potentially looking at buying a roof box for the car, possibly second hand to begin with and was wondering if all roof boxes will fit on any type of roof bars or do I need to look at a specific roof box to fit specific bars....

Thanks in advance

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Most boxes will fit most bars, the first thing to look out for is the right fitting kit for your car. Then see what bars you can find to fit that kit.

There seem to be two different types of fastening between roof box and bars - a sort that uses square-based U bolts, and what they call the T-track system. U bolts should, I believe, work with T track bars but not the other way around.

If you go to roofbox.co.uk they have an advice section which explains it much more clearly than I have.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
They should be fairly universal (I know!) With a bit of tweaking on roof bar didtances.
Most come with a U shaped clamp , but I upgraded ours to a fitting that slides in to the whispbar areofoil shaped bars

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve got a Hapro Traxer roof box that is accessible from both sides. It has fitted square roof bars and my current aero bars. The roof box does not use U clamps which can be fiddly. It has four separate claw clamps where you drop them down from inside the box then turn the clamp wheels to draw the clamps tight over the bars. A doddle to fit and remove.

Have a look at the Roofbox Company for ideas and sometimes they sell “ returns” at a good price.

IMG_2995.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone! I am potentially looking at buying a roof box for the car, possibly second hand to begin with and was wondering if all roof boxes will fit on any type of roof bars or do I need to look at a specific roof box to fit specific bars....

Thanks in advance
Regarding roof bars a lot depends on the type of roof bars on the vehicle. Sadly as we can no longer access our roofbox at sometime we will be selling the roof bars and the roofbox. Our roofbox is from a German manufacturer and roof bars are Thule.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We have a Halfords top box bought used from eBay. Not sure of the exact size but it's quite big.
It attaches to a pair of standard roof bars (eBay again) via U shaped clamps.
Our Freelander has fitted roof rails and is quite a stretch to get things in and out of the box so I make use of the caravan step.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My car has the front to rear bars built in. A few weeks ago I needed to move a couple of long posts, so I made my own bars out of 25mm square garden steaks. secured with cable ties.

The reason I mention this is to think of aerodynamics. I was not able to exceed 40mph as the noise was unbelievable. But it served my purpose.

I see some bars are oval in cross-section.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My car has the front to rear bars built in. A few weeks ago I needed to move a couple of long posts, so I made my own bars out of 25mm square garden steaks. secured with cable ties.

The reason I mention this is to think of aerodynamics. I was not able to exceed 40mph as the noise was unbelievable. But it served my purpose.

I see some bars are oval in cross-section.

John
My bars are aeroform in profile and just on their own are very quiet.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My new Ford Tourneo connect got fitted roof rails like what someone said we were also looking at Roof box company (when we thinking of having Thule roof bars and a roof box)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My bars are aeroform in profile and just on their own are very quiet.
Our Thule roof bars are the aero roof bars, but not sure if they are the same as aeroform? On their own at about 50mph they tend to whistle unless you wrap a bungee around them. Also no whistle if the roof box is fitted.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks in advance
Check your cars handbook for details of the type of roof bars that can be used. It's possible that some cars cannot use roof bars or boxes.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Our Thule roof bars are the aero roof bars, but not sure if they are the same as aeroform? On their own at about 50mph they tend to whistle unless you wrap a bungee around them. Also no whistle if the roof box is fitted.
My brother in law has those Thule aero bars.
They are a lot noisier than my Whispbar aerofoil bars (he's gutted)
Whispbars have been rebranded Yakima Whispbars , and they now do a super quiet "Jetstream" version.
My original Whispbars have been on three cars now, and the feet are a lot cheaper than Thule ones if you change vehicle.
I leave them on permanently as there is no whistling until over 70mph and drag is minimal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts