Roof light theft

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Although we have an active alarm and tracker, probably a good possibility that neither would have been activated. Probably had a large suction cup used for drains to be able to remove the skylight.

These things have awesome suction and will not let go until the catches are released. A couple of these would easily grip and remove that panel.

56E7B3B3-6336-451C-8401-999228A97794.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On other threads the rights or wrongs of storage sites absolving themselves of being responsible for failures of their security measures have been discussed, and sadly it does seem that most don't put their money where their advertising claims they have security.

I suspect in this instance the site will point you to your own insurance.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On other threads the rights or wrongs of storage sites absolving themselves of being responsible for failures of their security measures have been discussed, and sadly it does seem that most don't put their money where their advertising claims they have security.

I suspect in this instance the site will point you to your own insurance.

As per normal the OP's friend should claim off their insurance and leave it up to insurance companies to fight it out. After all that is why you pay insurance. :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Presumably it will only fit a two year old or newer Elddis? I wonder how many of them are on the road? Or anyone out there having their own replaced 🤔
Sounds very much like stolen to order. Scum🤬

As for storage sites that is what they are. We have done to death CASSOA etc. Great for storage.
Like Clive I wonder how the super sealed glued joints are broken if at all?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Presumably it will only fit a two year old or newer Elddis? I wonder how many of them are on the road? Or anyone out there having their own replaced 🤔
Sounds very much like stolen to order. Scum🤬

As for storage sites that is what they are. We have done to death CASSOA etc. Great for storage.
Like Clive I wonder how the super sealed glued joints are broken if at all?
Although they can replace the roof, they would also need to replace the inside ceiling boards. So a very expensive job, but may be cheaper for the insurance company than paying for a new caravan or paying out market value.
Hopefully Silversurfer who has been a member sine 2006 will update us?

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
My God ! Surely some would have heard that getting cut out ? Hope it all works out for the owner. May not be cost effective to repair and hopefully the new for old insurance can kick in ..... I certainly would not want it now.....

GAS ....

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My God ! Surely some would have heard that getting cut out ? Hope it all works out for the owner. May not be cost effective to repair and hopefully the new for old insurance can kick in ..... I certainly would not want it now.....

GAS ....
Apparently the sides have also got dents or holes in them so definitely a write off!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
All that cost to remove a relatively cheap bit of the caravan. Totally out of all proportion to the gain, but at least it will have been stolen because another one had broken, so the risk to most of us should be fairly low.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All that cost to remove a relatively cheap bit of the caravan. Totally out of all proportion to the gain, but at least it will have been stolen because another one had broken, so the risk to most of us should be fairly low.
They also damaged the exterior walls of the caravan by denting or holes I am not sure. Almost reads like a personal vendetta? They will probably sell the skylight stolen to order for about £100, but have caused over £20k in damage.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Silver Surfer here with an update of what I know so far:
Insurance assessor was due to visit on Tuesday last but not heard any decisions yet, my friends were due to travel to Cornwall on Easter Sunday, I have offered them the use of our Coachman which they have accepted.3EB34BBF-925C-4AAF-A376-0DC7CE3BB7BF.jpeg0D60CC3E-D031-4853-91E5-1BB228EE1769.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Silver Surfer here with an update of what I know so far:
Insurance assessor was due to visit on Tuesday last but not heard any decisions yet, my friends were due to travel to Cornwall on Easter Sunday, I have offered them the use of our Coachman which they have accepted.View attachment 3091View attachment 3092
Maybe the thieves are hoping that it is a write off. They can then legally buy it cheaply from the insurance company to break up for spares. The latter is a known scam and was used on cars.
Thisis beginning to look more like a targetted attack and they may have really upset someone!

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it was a targeted theft by someone needing or having a customer for the roof light and that was the quickest way they knew as to how to remove it. The idea of damaging to get the salvage is a bit too remote as there are far easier ways to do that and there is no guarantee they would get it.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
If they managed to get inside the caravan and used a cordless jig saw from underneath there would be less noise from a distance away.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The pics showing the damage on the side of the van looks to me they may well have worn something like climbing shoes with grips at the toes, doesn’t help getting any further with insurance but may point to how and why.

BP

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The person who did this malicious damage is a real nasty piece of work, capable of bad things. It should not be dismissed by the police as just another theft, because this person really does need tracking down and bringing to justice.
If this was the work of a caravanner, and it could well be, they could be parked next to one of us next trip out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My car is covered with small Retainagroup stickers all over the place, together with a U.K. fitted security system. . It was part of Subaru’s policy to make their cars a bit more theft deterrent given UKs reputation. At home we use Alpha Dot on things we would like returned should the police recover any burgled or lost items. We were burgled some years ago and despite minimal loss and damage it made us more security aware.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I shall be UV pen marking my rooflights ASAP.

CRiS had an offer on their micro dot security system so I went for it. micro dots everywhere. special stickers for windows and hidden places, and a UV pen. I went to town. but never gave the roof light a thought.

NB, I was going to put a link on to the CRiS vin chip security shop. But the CRiS web site appears to not exist! I am asked if I wish to buy the domain name.

One hopes this is a temporary thing.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CRiS had an offer on their micro dot security system so I went for it. micro dots everywhere. special stickers for windows and hidden places, and a UV pen. I went to town. but never gave the roof light a thought.

NB, I was going to put a link on to the CRiS vin chip security shop. But the CRiS web site appears to not exist! I am asked if I wish to buy the domain name.

One hopes this is a temporary thing.

John
Also get the notification that the domain name is up for sale? I wonder if they are still operating?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The chances of your roof light being stolen is unlikely to happen as it is known that roof lights surrounds are prone to cracking. If CRIS no longer exists, no point anyway.
Anyway even if the rooflight is marked, that is not going to prevent the theft and if the roof light is stolen, it is hardly likely that the police will ever be able to recover it,
We will not be bothering with panicking and marking the roof light. :sneaky:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Buckman I thought the same.👏👏
.I have this vision of hundreds of people with UV readers, climbing onto strangers caravan roofs , causing damage in the process etc.trying to read a mark😵‍💫😵‍💫.
Absolutely of no real life benefit. Nor would it stop the wanton damage done to the side panels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts