Rotary washing lines

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everybody, I can't believe I'm enquiring about this but here goes. Visiting a local dealer recently my wife admired a rotary washing line that took the place of the jockey wheel. The salesman said it was one of their best sellers. Now I always thought that the jockey wheel should stay in place and bear considerable weight when the caravan was sited, but the salesman said there was no problem at all in removing it. Surely if you remove the jockey wheel, the corner steadies at the front are going to bear far more weight than was intended? It has certainly made me think and I'd be grateful for your views. Best Wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a possible solution. My jockey wheel was mounted within the A-frame, but there are also pre-drilled holes in the left side of the A-frame. I fitted the jock there, and now have a permanent site for the washing line. Sorry if this is not relevant to you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right, the salesman is wrong. A caravan chasis is designed to carry the weight on the axles and the jockey wheel with the corner steadies purely would down to prevent movement, not to bear the load of say four people sitting in the front of the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello George,

We bought a RWL last year.Make sure that it is securely Fixed In place of the jockey wheel And make sure you tension it hard against the ground. I found a small board as a grounding helped. We have found ours very useful. When we have finished Drying the washing we put the jockey wheel back in place.

Regards- Harold

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always remove my Jocky wheel, at home to keep it inside for the winter, on site to fit my tv pole.

if it was necessary to support the caravan you would need another one or a prop at the back because the rear steadys are the same as the front ones.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is really strange, I've seen many caravans on site without the Jocky wheel in place, but the manual for my caravan (Bailey discovery) clearly states that the you should level the caravan with the jocky wheel and should never let the stablisers take the weight of the caravan. I'd advise you always check your manual, especially if under warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The dealer is right George! The jockey wheel really doesn't (and shouldn't) be taking any weight when the van is sited and in use. The chassis is designed to rest on a spread load across axle(s) and the four corner steadies. The steadies should be wound down to give firm contact with the ground, but should not be forced/used to raise or 'level' the van, as this practice will ruin your chassis. Once the van is sited as above, the jockey wheel can be removed to allow a clothes airer or TV aerial etc to be clamped in its place. The weight of occupants in the van would be damaging to the A-frame if the jockey was taking weight when van 'inhabited'. Finally, do remember that your washing line will block your front view though...!

Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George - I always wind up the JW when the van's sited & have done for the last 19 years. Remember the bulk of the van's weight rests on the 2 or 4 road wheels, the steadies merely doing as their name suggests - keeping the van steady, which must be designed to take the stresses & strains of occupancy - or am I completely wrong? Others please advise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all those who responded to my original query about the washing line. The responses vary but I was particularly interested to see Matthew's response as we too have a Bailey Discovery. Personally, I just feel a little happier with the wheel wound down but will have a chat with the local Bailey dealership. Thanks to all. George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have read down all the above and must say I am amazed that no one has brought up an obvious point for George T.

Remember that many sites do not allow washing lines of any kind to be used outside the van/awning! And consider please your fellow site users. Most people do not want to spend their hard earned break looking at your washing instead of enjoying the view!

h

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you really have to air your washing (dirty or clean) in public! I’m sure the last thing other people on site would want to see are Mr & Mrs butlers smalls blowing in the breeze!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whittakerr said:
Do you really have to air your washing (dirty or clean) in public! I’m sure the last thing other people on site would want to see are Mr & Mrs butlers smalls blowing in the breeze!
The post that you referred to was spam (unauthorised advertising).
The person who imagined that they would obtain free advertising has now been banned and their email address and IP have been added to the anti-spam database so they've been hung out to dry
smiley-cool.gif

Mods 1 Spammers 0

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
We've got one and have never had problems using it in place of the jockey wheel. We also have a tripod base which means we can also put the line up round the back of the van to avoid "spoiling the view", but tend to only use this when less windy as it does blow over, even when pegged down.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Alkho have confirmed that the jockey wheel does not have to be in contact with the ground when sited
Its purpose is to stop the A frame hitting the ground when moving, to unhitch, & to level the van fore & aft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts