Route advice

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello
We are travelling down later this week from Hope Valley, Derbyshire to Pembrey Country Park South Wales. We are trying to decide which route to take - A483 or motorways M6, 5 etc. For those who have done similar trips what would you advise please and your reasons for your choice? Many thanks we have never towed this length of trip before and we have dogs with us so will need to stop periodically.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Google maps is looking at it as the M5 M6 M42 down towards the coast that way at about 5 hours but be careful when you leave Hope Valley as we were down there a few years ago and if you are using a normal car sat nav it may take you through some very thin country lanes which you don't want to be doing with the caravan on the back !

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Craig - we live in the valley so have come across some of those roads ha! Just can't decide between a motor way route or the A roads?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We were at castleton 5 year ago for the week , loved the area . Quickest route for us with the kids , no back roads . I go the way the caravan sat nav tells me to go ! It's actually set to to quickest and safest route for our outfit

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
M42,M5 M4 would be the easiest towing route but of course any accidents and the motorway sytem comes to a halt. A less fragile route would be leave M5 at Strensham and take M50. The south from Monmouth to Abergavenny. Then take Heads of Valkeys road past Merthyr Tydfil and rejoin M4 near Swansea. You are then only a few miles from Pembrey. That route is a little longer in time but has the advantage of numerous diversion options should there be motorway hold ups around Bristol. It also misses the notorious Brynglas tunnels at Newport. We take it when travelling from the Midlands to our son in South Wales.
The other option is leave very early and have your ISTAR sensors on. IE satnav DAB and TP, phone traffic etc and be wise to diversion options. :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
M42,M5 M4 would be the easiest towing route but of course any accidents and the motorway sytem comes to a halt. A less fragile route would be leave M5 at Strensham and take M50. The south from Monmouth to Abergavenny. Then take Heads of Valkeys road past Merthyr Tydfil and rejoin M4 near Swansea. You are then only a few miles from Pembrey. That route is a little longer in time but has the advantage of numerous diversion options should there be motorway hold ups around Bristol. It also misses the notorious Brynglas tunnels at Newport. We take it when travelling from the Midlands to our son in South Wales.
The other option is leave very early and have your ISTAR sensors on. IE satnav DAB and TP, phone traffic etc and be wise to diversion options. :)
This is the best and easiest route missing out the Bristol area bottlenecks. Do a Clive :cheer:

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I take the A483 regularly, in fact every time I travel to South Wales as it’s a refreshing change from the usual motorway slog (in this case, M6, M5, M4). However, I would not take that route when towing the van.

Due the twisties, short climbs and at times, narrow roads, I think what is usually a rather enjoyable drive would be unnecessarily taxing, not to mention the burden to other non-towing road users.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
I take the A483 regularly, in fact every time I travel to South Wales as it’s a refreshing change from the usual motorway slog (in this case, M6, M5, M4). However, I would not take that route when towing the van.

Due the twisties, short climbs and at times, narrow roads, I think what is usually a rather enjoyable drive would be unnecessarily taxing, not to mention the burden to other non-towing road users.

I think you have got your road numbers confused. The Heads of the Valleys is not the A483. It is a much improved main trunk route the A465.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our regular trip from the east mids to relatives in Wales always took us down the M50 as Clive recommends. I would agree that it is the way to go. Pembray is lovely, at least it was when we last went, which I now realise (with horror) was 10years ago. :unsure: Have a good trip.
Mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Get on the A6 to Derby, take A38 until you pick up signs M42 etc which takes you off past the Belfry (A446 at Bassets pole) golf course. M42, M5, M4.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Get on the A6 to Derby, take A38 until you pick up signs M42 etc which takes you off past the Belfry (A446 at Bassets pole) golf course. M42, M5, M4.

This is the same as an earlier post. But majority favour the alternative via M50, Abergavenny Heads of Valleys. It’s a route that avoids Almondsbury and Brynglas Tunnels. Notorious if there’s any accidents.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Last time we went down, for the six nations, there were roadworks all over the Brynglas tunnels, it was a right pain.
Mel

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely with Otherclive. We live in the Midlands and have family in Pembrokeshire, and that is consistently the quickest and easiest route.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
From the East Midlands I would not use the A38 but A42. The A38 surface is poor in many places and the junction with the M42 difficult. The A42 runs into M42 and straight into M5. Tamworth services you go in with the lorries but parking is easy. Services at junction 3 have a few dedicated caravan pitches and Strensham services have lots of pitches on the south bound side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts