route from Glasgow to Oban

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
We are travelling north to Oban with our (24ft) caravan in a couple of weeks and have been warned that the road at the north side of Loch Lomond (via Ardlui) is terrible. From the map I see that a possible alternative is to go via Inveraray.
Is this the better route or can anyone suggest a better alternative.
Thanks,
Dave

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave.
done just about every route there is in the area over the years. and to be honest there isn't a best way although the one with less hills and meandering roads is the longest ie, gourock to dunoon via ferry then up the A815 to cairndow A83 to inveraray and then A819 to the A85 to Oban. apart from a gradiant at the foot of holy loch and a stretch through Glen Aray it is pretty much at sea level as you follow a line of sea lochs,
If you go your alternative route ie Tarbet to inveraray you have to negotiate the mountains and rest and be thankful " its called that for a reason ??" and you still have to go through Glen Aray.
To be be fair the A82 is not that bad a road since its upgrade " used to be single track with passing places" ok so its a bit windy and up and down in places but still a pretty good route, I'm afraid thats the nature of the highlands and what adds to there beauty but dont forget all the places on route have to be serviced by HGV's so the roads can't be that bad can they?
hope this helps
colin

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave

Depending what part of Glasgow you're leaving from how about going via Stirling then using the A84 and A86 to Crianlarich. It's probably more miles but easier. We did it, as far as Tymdrum, going to Glencoe last year and as inexperienced towers had no problems, other than a cyclist who wouldn't move in to let us past causing a bit of a tail back, grrrr.

Cheers

John and Nic

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
As a caravanner who lives and works in this part of Argyll avoid the Ardlui part of the A82 at all costs, some parts, nearer Crianlarich are okay but it is a far easier tow via the A83, Inveraray onto A819 Dalmally, onto A85 to Oban

regards

Ali

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,
I would agree with john & nic the road from Stirling to Crainlarich is the best and in my opinion the easiest. There is no way i would go up Loch Lomond with a caravan, don't even like it solo. If you live in Glasgow why don't you take a picnic some day and try it, possibly making it a round trip Glasgow - Stirling - Crainlarich - Tarbet - Glasgow.
Hope this helps but at the end of the day it is what suits you best as there has been many previous posts on this very route.
William

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
I agree the Sterling/Callander/ Crianlarich route is a pretty good one exept for the distance involved and the reason I mentioned going via the A815
the 11miles on the A83 from Ardgartan to Cairndow is the key to avioding Ardlui but it depends on Dave's unit the last time I went this route "with the mondeo" it was lets say very intresting in the gearbox and overheating dept.
colin

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
re the A83, use this route several times a year with van, either heading to or from the Stirling area, Wales, Cornwall or France, never had any problems pulling up the" rest and be thankful", either with current peugeot 407 SW or previous Renault Laguna, both diesels. Don't be put off from using this route, it is far easier and a more relaxed tow than the A82.

Also resurfacing work has recently been carried out both on A83 plus route overhill to Dalmally area so roads are a lot smoother now!

Regards

Ali

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Very many thanks for your responses.
After confirmation that the Ardlui route is best avoided and the warnings of the Rest & be Thankful we will play safe and opt for the Stirling route.
Regards,
Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts