Route planning for caravans

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe those sneaky little boffins at TomTom have at last found out the secret of miracle making.
Seems that they have found away if you select "car with caravan" and we mainly use CLs in the UK. Not had an issue in France or Spain either.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For an app that does live route planning to your dimensions look at CoPilot. About £26 per year. When I looked at them, TomTom did not do a true app that handled dimensions. reading the posts above, it looks like the still don’t. It seems you need to pre plan then sync to the phone. Sounds like a faff, and hard luck if there is a diversion, or you change your destination.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For an app that does live route planning to your dimensions look at CoPilot. About £26 per year. When I looked at them, TomTom did not do a true app that handled dimensions. reading the posts above, it looks like the still don’t. It seems you need to pre plan then sync to the phone. Sounds like a faff, and hard luck if there is a diversion, or you change your destination.

John
I was always ultra cautious if for any reason my satnav offered an alternative route because the programmed route might have had a hold up/delay on it. Most times we would stick with the programmed route and quite often the delay would have disappeared. But letting the satnav give me an alternate route was generally refused and we would aim to pull over somewhere and look at the map book.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
We do not have the app as think most seem to be fairly useless, just the unit. We can input the dimensions which the app cannot do. If there is a part of the route that is closed, it will offer you alternative routes which may be quicker. It also advises on the length of the delay.

No intention of using any phone app at this point as the unit is more than adequate for us. The car satnav although fairly good is very restrictive as cannot add dimensions, get alternative routes etc. We only use the unit when towing.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

John
Given a choice, I'd rather have live traffic from a car sat nav even when towing than a caravan sat nav with no live traffic - restrictions like width/height/weight/length are signed anyway and since caravan routes can't exclude "single track with passing places" they don't gain much - although they should take the lower speed limits into account when estimating arrival time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Given a choice, I'd rather have live traffic from a car sat nav even when towing than a caravan sat nav with no live traffic - restrictions like width/height/weight/length are signed anyway and since caravan routes can't exclude "single track with passing places" they don't gain much - although they should take the lower speed limits into account when estimating arrival time.
We get live updates from our TT Go and we are warned that the route may be unsuitable for caravans i.e. narrow road with passing places.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We do not have the app as think most are fairly useless, just the unit. We can input the dimensions which the app cannot do. If there is a part of the route that is closed, it will offer you alternative routes which may be quicker. It also advises on the length of the delay.

No intention of using any phone app at this point as the unit is more than adequate for us. The car satnav although fairly good is very restrictive as cannot add dimensions, get alternative routes etc. We only use the unit when towing.
What is your basis for saying they are fairly useless? Particularly, as you say you don't use them. But in reality, a ‘unit’ is a screen. computer and app, just like a phone.

The CoPilot DOES allow you to input dimensions, which is why I suggested it.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think you are correct that the dimensions are 'signed away', for the TomTom. But the CoPilot calculates on the fly.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was always ultra cautious if for any reason my satnav offered an alternative route because the programmed route might have had a hold up/delay on it. Most times we would stick with the programmed route and quite often the delay would have disappeared. But letting the satnav give me an alternate route was generally refused and we would aim to pull over somewhere and look at the map book.
I would agree regarding delays. But what about diversions?

Still, always be cautious, whatever the SatNav. Even the human ones.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What is your basis for saying they are fairly useless? Particularly, as you say you don't use them. But in reality, a ‘unit’ is a screen. computer and app, just like a phone.

The CoPilot DOES allow you to input dimensions, which is why I suggested it.

John
I did try Copilot a few years ago before we bought the TT Go and it had drawbacks that I did not like. Possibly at that point you could not input dimensions. Also tried the TT app and just as bad. I cannot remember if I tried the Garmin app if they have one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would agree regarding delays. But what about diversions?

Still, always be cautious, whatever the SatNav. Even the human ones.

John
What about diversions? if you are suddenly hit by one you have to use your judgement on what to do. Technology can only go so far in reducing the need for people to use their brains. Although with AI that may change, and for some it cannot come soon enough!

What do you do about diversions?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What about diversions? if you are suddenly hit by one you have to use your judgement on what to do. Technology can only go so far in reducing the need for people to use their brains. Although with AI that may change, and for some it cannot come soon enough!

Diversions are a thorny subject - official diversions have to be useable by all vehicles, so no width/height/weight/length restrictions, no motorways or special roads so can be followed by all road users including caravans - occasionally diversion routes will split for "light vehicles" and others allowing solo cars a quicker/shorter diversion.

Where a sat nav is dynamic enough to pick up the actual closure, they may reroute from further afield and avoid the official diversion in whole or in part.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

In my opinion. change is here already. SatNavs that can react is AI in action.

I use it as a tool. but will not be dictated to by it.

John

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I had a Garmin U2 satnav for a while, completely useless piece of junk that was. All the streets had no names! 3 hours driving round town and I still haven't found what I'm looking for. It really sent me some mysterious ways.

I'll get my coat. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts