Route South from Oban

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On some previous trips to Scotland our route south has taken us along the western edge of Loch Lomond. It can be quite narrow with large HGV and coaches. This time I was thinking of Crianlarich, Calendar and Stirling then via M80/73 to rejoin the M74 en route for a stop over in the Lakes. Is this detour worth taking?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Emmerson thanks I've had similar experiences. The alternative route is only a very few miles more and as the roads are better probably won't incur a time penalty. But even if it did it would be worth it to my blood pressure !

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I went up and down the A82 last week, the killer area is between Inverarnan and Tarbet.

(I've used this road on more times than I care to remember).

One really has to take it it slow and easy with a caravan, saying that, even with care there are sections where should you meet an oncoming longwide vehicle, there is the possibility of having significant difficulties.

Going north is worse than going south as the rock faces and other projections could easily take a chunk out of your nearside depending on the circumstances.

It's best to 'waitpause at the really tight bits in order to have at least some indication as to what is oncoming.

If you are in any sort of hurry then avoid this section.

Bear in mind that articulated lorries do pass each other going in opposite directions, but mostly the artics avoid the route as sometimes there is 'no going back' if the road behind you is backed up with heavy traffic.

To be honest, it is not much fun in a car let alone with a trailer, but if you like a little exhilaration, go for it; I still do but only at times when there is likely to be minimal traffic, and you could still be unlucky :eek:hmy:

Despite a fairly recent upgrade to the section, the Scottish Government really needs to invest on a road on stilts on Loch Lomond for this section, cost and aesthetics and the environmental brigade are all obstacles, but this section of road is abysmally short on practicality.

And that is from a Haggi. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I've done it a number of times when travelling down from the west coast and everything you say mirrors my experience. I will be taking the alternative route which only adds a few miles to my overall trip south.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just another vote for the alternative route. For ease of use and peace of mind there is no comparison. It is slightly longer but still quicker and easier on the driver and the car and probably cheaper on fuel.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
How they can classify the a82 from crianlarich to tarbet as a trunk road is beyond a joke - I frequently use the a82 for weekend outings on my Honda sh300i scooter - nearly every weekend during the summer that particular stretch of road is strewn with debris from inexperienced campervan drivers using this route - only recently a touring caravan was on fire on this stretch - and unfortunately I have to mention the numerous motorcycle accidents - often fatal - which necessitates the closure of the road for over five hours - my abbey iona is only six foot five inches wide so I'm not so bad

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the end given the weather forecasts and midges (for Oban) we left Newonmore after a nice week and a half and headed for Northumberland which had better weather and blissfully midge free. But when we next go to the west coast the alternative route will be my first choice.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
At Lochawe take the A819 to Inverary,then the A83 to Tarbert via the rest and be thankful and Arrochar.This detour misses out the narrow Loch Lomond road between Crianlarich and Tarbert and doesn't add a lot of miles to the journey.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
At Lochawe take the A819 to Inverary,then the A83 to Tarbert via the rest and be thankful and Arrochar.This detour misses out the narrow Loch Lomond road between Crianlarich and Tarbert and doesn't add a lot of miles to the journey.

This is an interesting and scenic route, but it is far slower and I would say far more difficult than the route to Stirling. It is not one I would choose, but it is workable, and appears to be slightly shorter, and you will see the southern end of Loch Lomond.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi GowerPower,

There is a category within the Index Tab - "New members - say hello".

You can say hello and introduce yourself there.

Where are you based?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts