route through alps Garmisch to Innsbruck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am looking to find a route through the Alps from Garmisch to Innsbruck .last year I ended up going down a 14% hill for 4km(scary and bad planning on my part).Im hoping not to go via the autobahn back up to munich and down to Innsbruck .any Ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Garmiisch PK thro Mittenwald towards Seefeld. Low gear all the way and take your time. Road twists a bit but is safe. Don't rely totally on your brakes as they will overheat. I've done this trip numerous times en route to Cavallino/Adriatic. Exciting and adventurous but safe if driven carefully; isn't that what caravanning is all about. BTW you are not allowed to reverse this route with a caravan on the hook. Gut Farht!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Garmiisch PK thro Mittenwald towards Seefeld. Low gear all the way and take your time. Road twists a bit but is safe. Don't rely totally on your brakes as they will overheat. I've done this trip numerous times en route to Cavallino/Adriatic. Exciting and adventurous but safe if driven carefully; isn't that what caravanning is all about. BTW you are not allowed to reverse this route with a caravan on the hook. Gut Farht!
Is that the route with a 14% incline if so Id rather not I was in second comeing down and still two fast.my brakes were failing near the bottom my caravan was 1000kg then, this one is 1400kg. I know it will save about 3 hrs driving. But its a bit hairy ive also been told to tow caravans on less than 12% hills only is this correct.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is that the route with a 14% incline if so Id rather not I was in second comeing down and still two fast.my brakes were failing near the bottom my caravan was 1000kg then, this one is 1400kg. I know it will save about 3 hrs driving. But its a bit hairy ive also been told to tow caravans on less than 12% hills only is this correct.
It depends how confident you are.

I would think that if you can do it yourself a well-balanced outfit should handle it. I have been down the road in question, not with a caravan but in a large Belgian coach!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Evans says. it depends on your confidence and at the end of the day only you can decide what you, or your passenders are comfortable with. You are on holiday so you shouldn't stress yourself out if there is an altenative. For myself I am not one bit suicidal and if I thought it was a "no go" I would'nt attempt any route. Good luck in what ever route you decide on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The route is not for caravans according to ADAC( german AA) the hill is actually 16% but have given another route Garmisch to Innsbruck via lermoos then Imst the hills are 8% max thanks for all your Input

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts