Route through London

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am going to the CC site at Abbey Wood. I have tried Via Michelin, Autoroute and the CC club websaite, they recommend I go through london and through the Blackwall tunnel. Is this the best route,I am comming from Notts.

Thanks in anticpation - ALB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Albert

There is a better way from the North but you need to get your timing right and avoid rush hours.

From A1 join A14 and M11 to M25 via Dartford Crossing. As you approach the Bridge keep to the nearside and pay at the left hand toll booth. Leave at Junction 1A and follow A206 and A2016 via Erith to Thamesmead. Ignore the first sign from the dual carriageway for Abbey Wood and leave at the second which is signposted for Abbey Wood Station and Thamesmead. That will take you to the roundabout at the foot of Knee Hill and you just need to turn right into Federation Road.

For Central London use the train from Abbey Wood Station which is a few minutes walk from the site and trains run every 20-30 minutes to Charing Cross.

Kind regards

Scorpio

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
Why not take your caravan through London it is just like any other built up area and if you are driving in a responsible manner it is not going to cause a problem lorries,buses,and even horse drawn carts use London everyday so be confident and know where you are heading for and you will not have a problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure most caravanners would be able to drive a caravan through central London. But we must be honest, some would find it a challenge.

Its everybody else that worries me.

I regularly drive in central London and have done for 25years. During that time traffic and driving in general has got worse, much worse. I wouldn't risk my pride and joy to be scratched and bashed by buses, bendy buses, black cabs, motorcycle dispatch riders, cyclists who don't know there is a highway code, white van man and American tourists in hire cars who have never driven a right hand drive on the left with a clutch and manual gear box before.

As I said, under no circumstances take a caravan through central London.

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
I have also driven in london for nearly 40 years both commercial and private and say again if you need to drive your caravan through London (say if you are visiting the excel centre next week) just make sure of your route and you will not have a problem having also towed a caravan through Paris,Madrid,Lisbon and Seville without mishap it is all about forward planning however i would reccomend avoiding the rush hours if not sure of route

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I did Crystal Palace two weeks ago. CC site advised using North/South Circular from M4. After advice off this forum, I went via M25 - not too bad. Returning on the Friday afternoon, the Wardens advised me to stay clear of the M25, so South Circular it was. .....

Took us over 2 hours to do the 13 miles to the M4. Biggest problem were the constant traffic lights and yellow box junctions, which we would have blocked if we had driven into the (car-sized) spaces that were available the other side of the lights. Stop/start all the way - nice clutch tester!

Jun 22, 2006
Visit site
i have no problem driving my car , mpv or n the past my old vw in central london but gosh i would worry about towing a caravan up there! I think other motorists would be out to get you thinking they 'own' the roads!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts