Route through Rouen

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Last year someone posted a detailed route through Rouen(over railway ,island with concrete cows etc) which I took with me and was very reassuring.Has anyone still got it as I had to replace computer and lost it.

Many thanks

G

Well you enter Rouen via E402 through a long down hill tunnel dual carriageway. Just watch out for signs above the road saying 'LeMans' just before the river about 3kms after exiting the tunnel. When you see the Le Mans signs you must get under them in the right hand lane. That lanes junction loops in a very tight turn to the right and back under the raised dual carriageway (4th exit after the tunnel). So you are turning to the right under the road above you, so you have in fact made a left turn from the road you came along.

The road is another dual carriageway (D18e / Avenue Grand Course/Boulevard Industriel) through a large industrial area and you cross over rail lines. Just follow the road until you come to the roundbout with the concete cows, go straight across on to dual carrigeway and straight on at the next roundabout on the D18e. Just after the roundabout the road forks on to E5, right for Caen / Le Mans left towards Evreux / Chartres.

We're on a run through Rouen after lunch today, there's no mystery on the through route. Just get under Le Mans sign after exiting the E402 tunnel.

G

ps.

The roundabout cows are GRP and well trained, they never wander in to the road off the un-fenced roundabout ;)

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Here is another version of the same route. After going through the Bihorel tunnel, keep to the main road ignoring exits. If you are in the first lane, after crossing the river, you will automatically follow the loop down to the D18E. The road passes through an industrial estate but eventually you'll see the cows.

Incidentally, I prefer the other side of the river on the N15. Still ends up at the same spot.

G

1st route through the industrial area has less option where you may make a wrong turn though.

There is also a fuel station on the left heading south in the industrial that I beleive is still open and manned 24/7.

If I remeber correctly if your heading to Le Mans type routes from the N15 you have to take the D7 to the E5 autoroute past the le Clos Aus Antes shopping complex at Tourville. Not a smart move when the shopping centre is busy and that route has a number of roundabouts compared to two straight across easy option roundabouts.

Personal choice but hold ups around the shopping complex can be a pain if you hit at the wrong time.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've usually found that when first-timers are enquiring about the route, they are heading towards Chartres and the N154, hence I mention the N15 (which is now the D915, except for the signage on the Rocade. Where the D915 has roundabouts, the Industrial estate has trafficlights (and lots of them) Also I like to fillup at the SuperU at Igoville. But you're right - were I heading towards the A28 for Tours, I would use the D18. Its nearer.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like John Douglas we use the N15 if we're heading to Chartres - easy road, and we also fill up at the Super U. Cheap prices, and access for caravans. This alone makes it worth going that way.

G

I assume if asking about a route through Rouen that most people are heading towards the West Coast direction/LeMans or newish 302 autoroute south.

If that is the intention route finders and satnav will take you past the cows.

If you are heading towards Chartres, routefinders and satnav routes should take you off on the N15 route as that is the most direct route!

G

Euro '1st route through the industrial area has less option where you may make a wrong turn though.'

How right you are, been caught out before there.

Mar 6, 2007
Visit site
Euro '1st route through the industrial area has less option where you may make a wrong turn though.'

How right you are, been caught out before there.
The last two times we travelled through Rouen, we noticed a flyover was being built near the railway depot area. Don,t know where it is heading but if it is going over that particular junction its going to be a big help .... Anybody with insider knowledge ?

G

I thought I'd guessed correctly.

We're back in Le Mans again tonight after camping over the race weekend.

Boys ;) biking week, Royan tommorow.

The roundabout cows looked very healthy this afternoon :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts