Route to cambrils spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Im after a route to cambrils in spain my sat nav say from Dunkerque ferry. Lille,Paris,Orleans,Bourges,Clermont-ferrand,Montpellier,Perpignan,Girona,Barcilona,Cambrils 887miles or Lille,Paris,Orleans,Bourges,limoges,Toulouse,Andorra la vella,Barcillona,Cambrils 884 miles. Has anybody done these routes & which is best if any. I want to stay on the motorways for ease and im taking 2 days and leaving end july any help appreciated.

Thanks Richard W

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi richard , we done your second route ,we done about 430 miles per day ,stopped at Clermont Ferrand for one night then continued onto Vilanova just below Barcelona the next day ,we do it just before Christmas and spend a month down there ,once you get below paris the roads were virtually empty ,some times there was just us on it ,the only time we saw any road works was on the M4 and M25 ,it gets busier when you get into spain ,the tolls seem to be every few miles in spain as well ,and you also get to go across the highest bridge in the world at Milau in France , what its like in July i dont know , but i shall be going to Carlucet in the Dordogne in august

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard.

Either of your two routes is fine, but if you want to do it in two days I would recommend the first one (via Clermont Ferrand) which has uninterupted motorways. The Andorra route is obviously mountainous, therefore slower, and you need adequate power, but will cost less in tolls. The only other consideration is whether you want to deviate slightly at the beginning to avoid Paris.

We drove down via Clermont Ferrand in May and took three (easy) days to Cambrills via Clermont Ferrand - but I am retired and have more time!!! We are in Portugal now, on the Algarve.

Regards

Keith

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Joby,

Sorry to go off topic, but I notice that you're going to Carlucet, that wouldn't be Chateau La Comte by any chance? if so have you been there before? & whats it like?

I'm going next Friday 21st June, & my route there will be:

Calais, Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Ruffec, Confolens, Limoges & then to Carlucet (stooping off at the sister in law's who lives between Ruffec & Confolens).

If you havn't been to Chateau La Comte, I'll let you know what it's like when I get back in July.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Keith

When i said 2 days i ment 2 stopovers. 1st about vierzon 2nd toulouse getting there on the 3rd day. Havent check it out yet for the clermont-ferrand route as yet. also just wondering would it be much longer avoiding toll roads.

Cheers richard

P.s

Retired and in portigul sounds nice about now ,Im just leaving for work.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

We usually "hop on and off" of motorways to get a compromise of cost and speed. The autoroute is free from Clermont Ferrand to the south of France (nr Beziers) and parts of the A20 are also free (check this with via michelin.com, route planner) - also through Andorra or Bourg Madame nearly down to Barcelona (apart from tunnels). Andorra itself can be pretty congested in the holiday seasons (winter and summer - it has two) and there is a lot of building work going on there, but the scenery is magnificent and you can pick up duty frees and cheaper fuel. Or you can by-pass it by going via Bourg Madame. In Spain the tolls are reasonable, particularly as they don't generally charge extra for Caravans (single axle).

At the beginning you can minimise tolls and avoid Paris by going from Dunkerque to Rouen, then Evreux, Chartres and Orleans - this probably adds a couple of hours, but if you are going to make two overnight stops this is not a problem.

We stopped at Nevers and Severac le Chateau (20 miles North of Millau) on the way down.

Hope this is some help - have a great trip

Keith

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Richard - I'd just like to emphasise - if you go via Andorra, you do need adequate power as it is quite a climb, even if you use the tunnel to avoid the top bit.

Keith

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Joby,

Sorry to go off topic, but I notice that you're going to Carlucet, that wouldn't be Chateau La Comte by any chance? if so have you been there before? & whats it like?

I'm going next Friday 21st June, & my route there will be:

Calais, Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Ruffec, Confolens, Limoges & then to Carlucet (stooping off at the sister in law's who lives between Ruffec & Confolens).

If you havn't been to Chateau La Comte, I'll let you know what it's like when I get back in July.
Thank you very much GeorgeB , much appreciated , i look forward to your info

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Thank you very much GeorgeB , much appreciated , i look forward to your info
Joby,

No probs mate, I'm assuming that you've not been there before so I'll post a message in the overseas parks & touring with the title F.A.O Joby giving you the low down on the site.

Did you choose this site after vising Stuart & Shiela's stand at the Nov NEC show per chance? Thats where we stumbled across them & after a long conversation with Shiela decided it would be a pleasant change from the riviera.

Look for the post on or after the 6th July

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts