Route to Saundersfoot/Tenby

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I will be taking the van to Saundersfoot in August, and have a couple of options for the route I will take, once I leave the M5.

Option 1)Leave at Junction 8 on the the M50 to Ross on Wye, then the A40 via Monmouth, before taking a Left at the A449 to the M4 at Newport. At the conclusion of the M4 carrying on with the A48 via Carmarthen to St. Clears, taking a Left at the A477 to Saundersfoot.

Option 2)Leave at Junction 7 taking A440, before Left at A4103 to Hereford, Then take the A438 to the A470, then Right at the A40, passing Brecon, Llandovery to Carmarthen, then as per Option 1 to Saundersfoot.

Option 2 has a scenic advantage and possibly less traffic on a busy August weekend, but skirts the Black & Brecon Mountains that may present towing problems.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Best regards,

George

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,we are from the north east and usually go to tenby,we have also been to saundersfoot.we have been both ways,option 1 was always my choice,although option 2 is ok and not as hilly as you think and found it a little slower than route one.

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
i agree that option 1 is the best[fastest]although not as pretty.i,m down from scotland quite regularly as sons both stay in carmarthen.

myra

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
If you have a 'sat nav' see which route it throws up on that. I think ours is taking us M4, then A48, A477. Ours has a 'truck route' option on it which although is slightly longer it is a lot less hilly!

Andrea.

PS. we are going to Nolton near Haverfordwest in 2 weeks time so are using the same route as you practailly.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Ladies,

Thanks for your responses, I think that I will take Option 1, on the outward journey. As I am just taking the van down for my daughter to use, I think that I will return in the car on Option 2. I can then think about trying it with the van, when I return two weeks later, to bring it back to Bedford.

Andrea, I am old fashioned and have yet to purchase a Sat Nav, I find that with Google & Via Michelin Maps, allied to ordinary maps I get where I am going to. I do enjoy the planning before leaving, however I think that may change when we start venturing into Europe.

Thanks and best regards,

George

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi George.

You are quite right in thinking OPT 1, is a good quality road route.

I live at Leominster and have travelled both ways extensively.

If you want to make good time on OPT 2, go via Brecon and then head for Leominster. At Leominster haed north towards Ludlow on the A49. After leaving Leo travel about 1 mile and turn left to Tenbury / Kimbolton. Go to Tenbury and turn right after the bridge, heading towards Kidderminster. Stay on that road for about 18 miles until you see a left turn for Ombersley/ droitwich. Take that road and head for Droitwich. You will come out at a roundabout on the by-pass. Take the second exit and head for the M5. which is now jus 3 miles away.

Using that route cuts out Worcester traffic and saves about 15 miles and a good half an hour. I will add that you might not find it suitable for yourself to tow a caravan along, but it is the main lorry trunk route out of Herefordshire heading east to get the Motorway network East bound.

I used it many times towing a trailer 3500Kgs behind our LT35 truck and Diahatsu 4X4, without any major hold ups. It's the kind of road where you make good progress at about 45 mph, without realising it. I used to have to be a bit slick on gear changes on the route with my loaded outfit but I was travelling at 5500Kgs gross train.

Atb Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts