Route

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
We are thinking of driving to Harwich next year (Towing a caravan) to use the ferry service between Harwich and Hook of Holland.Can anyone advise the best route to use from Scotland.

Thanks

Russell Millar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A1 to Huntingdon, A14 to Ipswich then A12/A120 to Harwich. Not a journey I would like to do. Have you thought about Rosyth to Zebruugge? Not cheap, but easy.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Dear Russell,

From the Scottish Boarder to Harwich is between 9.5 and 10 hours I would guess by Car and Van (I've done it a few years ago in a truck) and it's not lot different speed wise.

Two types of vessels sail to the Hook - conventional ferry x2 and the HSS which is truly amazing.

Have you also looked at DFDS excellent service from Newcastle to Amsterdam ? or P & O service from Hull to Rotterdam both offer nice boats and less miles.

Regards Monkey Husband

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Russell,

I work near Rotterdam - about one week in three - and whilst I normally use the Dover - Calais crossing, I have used both the HSS from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, and the Hull to Europoort services.

The HSS ferry to Hoek van Holland is excellent, about 4 hours. But if the weather is bad, the catamaran makes an unusual yawing motion.

I've used the Hull to Europoort overnight service, sleeping in an inner cabin - obviously no windows - and it's OK but try to get a cabin with an integral toilet / shower.

No comments on the Newcastle or Rosyth ferries, except that Zeebrugge is in Belgium and about 3 hours drive to the Rotterdam area.

Where are you planning on staying?

I can recommend the "Delftse Hout" campsite for anywhere between Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Easy walk into Delft, good railway links - don't drive into Amsterdam or Leiden. Very popular site - you will need to book.

Just South of Rotterdam, and further West is the old city of Brielle. You could take a look at "Camping De Krabbeplaat" or any of the coastal camp grounds between Brielle and Middelburg.

This coastal region is very popular with Dutch and German holiday makers and you may need to be flexible.

Robert

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
Dear Russell,

From the Scottish Boarder to Harwich is between 9.5 and 10 hours I would guess by Car and Van (I've done it a few years ago in a truck) and it's not lot different speed wise.

Two types of vessels sail to the Hook - conventional ferry x2 and the HSS which is truly amazing.

Have you also looked at DFDS excellent service from Newcastle to Amsterdam ? or P & O service from Hull to Rotterdam both offer nice boats and less miles.

Regards Monkey Husband
Thank you for your reply, main reason we are thinking of Harwich is that we will be travelling with our dog and this route is shorterre the dog

Russell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts