Routes and campsites from Dordogne to Toulon

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Travelling to Dordogne for a 2 weeks stay and then on to the S of france for 10 days. I have not travelled this way before so any help with routes and campsites much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ali

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you don't mind cross-country, then the N140 to Rodez, then Millau, then down the A75 to Montpellier, across the Camargue via the D670 (though that bit may be busy if you're travelling at peak hours or the weekend), then Marseille and Toulon is a lovely route. I've done it in reverse, from La Croix Valmer to Biron (near Montignac) just south of the Dordogne river.

There are some lovely campsites in Millau, directly alongside the river - we've stayed at Les Rivages several times, but there are many others, and you're bound to find a pitch, even in high season.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you don't mind cross-country, then the N140 to Rodez, then Millau, then down the A75 to Montpellier, across the Camargue via the D670 (though that bit may be busy if you're travelling at peak hours or the weekend), then Marseille and Toulon is a lovely route. I've done it in reverse, from La Croix Valmer to Biron (near Montignac) just south of the Dordogne river.

There are some lovely campsites in Millau, directly alongside the river - we've stayed at Les Rivages several times, but there are many others, and you're bound to find a pitch, even in high season.
Oh, and I forgot to say, that way you get to see the Millau viaduct, too. Do drive across it, but stop and have a look at the visitor centre, and see it from underneath, so you appreciate just how high it actually is.

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Oh, and I forgot to say, that way you get to see the Millau viaduct, too. Do drive across it, but stop and have a look at the visitor centre, and see it from underneath, so you appreciate just how high it actually is.
Perfect Val! My son will be over the moon, ever since top gear has featured Millau viaduct he has begged to go this way.

Cheers

Ali

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Ali

Can I suggest the best way to see it is to stop at the 'Aire' just before you get to the viaduct heading south, and then drive over the viaduct. You don't get any sense of how high it is once you're crossing. Then drive down to the next junction (La Cavalarie) and off the autoroute, and back into Millau on the old road. You get a fantastic view of the town, and hopefully all the paragliders jumping off the Puncho d'Aghast, from the viewpoint on the corner as you turn down the hill.

Drive down the hill and head across the Tarn towards 'Rodez' to see all the campsites alongside the river - then left across another bridge to access all the campsites which are all close together. You can then have a quick trip to the visitor centre under the Viaduct. The journey from the Dordogne to Millau is quite a quick one - we've done it several times recently that way.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site

PS, Sorry forgot to say my youngest son has got tickets to the Top Gear recording tomorrow. He's really looking forward to it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts