Rover 75 2.0 CDT Tourer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience or views on towing with the Rover 75 Tourer?

I get the impression that estate cars don't make the best tow cars. Apart from the Mazda 6 estate just winning Practical caravan's best tow car award of course! However, I'm looking at a 2 year old 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT, 16,000 miles, asking price less than £12K (£23K new 2 years ago). It seems to have all the credentials to pull my 1400kg van (Elddis Firestorm 534). 48mpg (solo) 114 bhp, 192 lb ft torque @2000 rpm. Kerbweight 1665 kg (giving an 84% match for my van) and maximum tow of 1600kg. Any comments, good or bad would be greatly appreciated. JohnJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John, I have been towing with a 75 Tourer for over 2 years and it is an auto. It has the MG chip for 130bhp and I tow an Elddis 534. The car is more than capable, we went to Switzerland last year and on the motorways pulls happily at 60+ (I won't say what speed because it annoys some who read this forum). I am dubious of the 534 with fixed bed so do not put anything heavy underneath, all the weight is over the axle, I have a 'thing' about loading, but don't take it to extremes. The awning and extra beer fridge are in the car!

As for the car, I really think they are under rated, mine has leather and for the price these days must represent really good value for money. The BMW engine is not as econemical as some, as I said mine is an auto and gets about 35+ solo and 30 towing, this is getting better as the car gets older, now has 25k on the clock. I don't check it very often as I'm not a regular on the forecourt. It has been 100% reliable and it also tows my 4-wheel trailer and rallycar 1500kgs in all with no problem. If you want any more info, just ask Regards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get a superchip or an Official MgRover ECU chip to put the HP and torque upto 130 and 225 respectively (lb. ft). Makes the performance inprove dramatically - 4 secs off the 0-60 time, 6 secs off 30-50 in 3rd gear, and will keep its speed up gradients better. In other respects, it should be a great car with a 100kg noseweight and a heavy kerbweight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As James pointed out the 75 has a 100kg noseweight which for an estate of any sort is very good. I can't get my 534 below about 112kg even though the spare wheel is under the floor and behind the wheels. It has a motor mover fitted but so close to the axle I couldn't see that as a problem. Anyway it tows the 534 and previously an Elddis Typhoon (same weight different layout) with no trouble. I guess your only dilema is whether a front wheel drive car (of any sort) will tow a boat up a wet slipway, although I have seen some people park their car at the top and winch the boat up and down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dear john we have a rover 75 tourer diesel with the 130bhp chip it towed our abbey aventura 318 better than our landrover td5 discovery which we had before, when we accerated up hill the disco took time to pick-up speed but the rover pulled great. my brother-in-law has a rover 75 saloon 115bhp which he finds a but of a struggle up steep hills. regards sue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bought a 75 CDTi saloon in January, 25 miles on the clock. Tows our Dart to max loading of 1250kg very well in deed...sometimes too well and i get a cautionary nudge from the old co-pilot.Solo we can scrape 40 during normal daily driving and about 30 towing if i behave myself. Used to use a 620 diesel Rover and thought that was good , but this is effort less, can't understnad why people don't rate it better as a tow car. I've got a flat cap a some nice driving gloves...i look the bees Knees compared to my associates in their company Passats and BMW's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
john, in my opinion the mazda 6 as a tow car of the year is a joke, the tests were carried out with different van weights, that is 85% of the kerb weight. The rover will tow your van ok, how ever you can have too much power when towing, idearly putting the power down through all four wheels. The 75 should be ok but it you can get sport suspension or self leveling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts