Rubber Coil Spring Assisters

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Spring assisters do not improve stability. They may improve ride. They are legal in the UK but they may invalidate the car manufacturer's warranty.

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Lutz. The car is nearly five years old now so warranty isn't an issue.

One of the main reasons I was thinking about these is because, although not extream, the front end of my Mondeo does rise a little with the caravan on the back. Obviously due to the weight on the tow bar. Now... When your pulling away on grass you need as much traction as you can get especialy with the Mondeo's FWD.

Surly with the spring assisters on this would stop the front rising a bit.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here.

Cheers

Gary

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Spring assisters at the back will only stop the back going down but won't increase the load on the front axle. Consequently, they won't improve traction, if it's a problem now.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
We bought an Octavia SE on the end of the Mk1, which came with 205/55-16 tyres/wheels. These give an inherently hard ride, so Skoda in their wisdom have softened the rear suspension to improve the ride. Put our Bailey on the back (max ball load on the Octavia is 60Kg) and it drops best part of two inches and handling becomes somewhat frightening.

I went digging and found two types - Dutch made MAD spring assisters, or a pretty will identical product by Grayston Engineering in London (small ad in back of CC magazine.) Cost

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You need to appreciate, however, that Woody's positive experience with his modified Octavia would not necessarily apply to other cars. Making the rear end harder could result in the car tending to oversteer, for example. This could lead to a real problem in an emergency if you enter a bend too fast.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We fitted coil spring assisters on our 54 Mondeo Estate - because it seemed to 'bounce' more when the caravan was on the back. It does improve the ride when you're towing, but it's not pleasant for back passengers when you're not because the ride is quite hard. There are usually only two of us, though, so that's not a problem - if you've children then it might not be a good idea.

It doesn't make any difference at all to traction on grass, sadly, which does seem to be a problem with the Mondeo - otherwise it tows like a dream.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Gary

I have fitted rubber donut's to three of the normal road cars. All did the job.(the type that fit between the coil springs)

Stability was improved, the back end of the car not dropping as far with the van on the back.

Also I always left them on, no doubt the ride in the rear was harder, but I don't travel there.

However a better solution is to stiffer springs, worth considering if you present springs are tired. Usually though cost is prohibitive.

Fitting new dampers will not prevent the back end dropping, this is the job of springs.(I refer to cars with the standard coil spring/damper set up)

It may be worth your while reducing the nose weight, with a max nose load limit I always found a nose target of 60kg to 65kg was best, over this the back end dropped more, and the steering started to get lighter , loose feel.

Again ensure the tyres are set to max load pressures, this does give a harder ride solo, but everything helps.

ps I the back end dropped to 1" I would be satisfied.

The A4 Quattro I had was fitted with sports suspension, with 65kg on the back it dropped half a inch, with the xtrail loaded to 85kg it hardly drops.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Gary

Apologies for the poor grammar/mistakes.

I have fitted rubber donut's to three of the normal road cars, I have owned. All did the job.(the type that fit between the coil springs)

Stability was improved, the back end of the car not dropping as far with the van on the back.

Also I always left them on, no doubt the ride in the rear was harder, but I don't travel there.

However a better solution is to fit stiffer springs, worth considering if you present springs are tired. Usually though cost is prohibitive.

Fitting new dampers will not prevent the back end dropping, this is the job of springs.(I refer to cars with the standard coil spring/damper set up)

It may be worth your while reducing the nose weight, with a max nose load limit of 75kg, I always found a nose weight target of 60kg to 65kg was best, over this the back end dropped more, and the steering started to get lighter , loose feel.

Again ensure the tyres are set to max load pressures, this does give a harder ride solo, but everything helps.

ps If the back end dropped to 1"or less I would be satisfied.

The A4 Quattro I had was fitted with sports suspension, with 65kg on the back it dropped half a inch, with the xtrail loaded to 85kg it hardly drops.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would have thought that a half inch drop of the back end shouldn't be problem unless the car has an extremely limited suspension travel and is likely to bottom out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts