Rumbling/Groaning Noises From Tow Hitch/Ball

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
I have a rumbling/groaning noise from towbar when hitched up and moving or turning. I've never had this in 30 years of towing many caravans and trailers. Alko towball and AKS3004 hitch are 21/2 years old and have covered approx 7000 miles.I have cleaned the ball with wet and dry and brake cleaner, and cleaned the stabiliser and friction pads with brake cleaner,but to no avail.All was ok on 2500 mile trip around europe with multiple unhitching and hitching last month and problem has only appeared in last couple of weeks. Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Can I suggest you remove the friction pads from the stabiliser and check for any possible damage. Another possibility is, particularly if you tow with a diesel car, is contamination from exhaust fumes. Last year I was experiencing similar problems and, same as yoursel, I had used emery paper and cleaned with brake cleaner. I removed the friction pads and found they had a extremely thin very smooth and hard film over them. This very quickly flaked off when scraped lightly with a sharp blade but would not have came off whilst in position and being cleaned with emery paper. I believe it was caused by the diesel exhaust fumes. It is a simple job to remove the friction pads.
Robert

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Just as Rob-T said they appeared to be glazed over. scraped off and cleaned again with brake cleaner.Quick 5 mile drive around the block and all was well except for the puncture courtesy of a 4 inch nail!!! Next stop local tyre dealer.
Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts