Running caravan fridge on Solar panels

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Prof is right. For years the UK standard used to be a nominal 240v ac and the continent's was much lower (220v?). However, one of the many things that the EU did for us some time ago was to change our (and Europe's) nominal voltages to a common 230v ac.
All the EC/EU did was change the name - UK supply voltage never changed, it's still about 240V, just as Spain is still about 220V.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
RogerL said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
Prof is right. For years the UK standard used to be a nominal 240v ac and the continent's was much lower (220v?). However, one of the many things that the EU did for us some time ago was to change our (and Europe's) nominal voltages to a common 230v ac.
All the EC/EU did was change the name - UK supply voltage never changed, it's still about 240V, just as Spain is still about 220V.

If the nominal voltage didn't change then why did the electricity boards go around changing people's light bulbs and cooker hot plates free of charge?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
If the nominal voltage didn't change then why did the electricity boards go around changing people's light bulbs and cooker hot plates free of charge?

They didn't !

The gas boards went round converting appliance jets when natural gas was introduced instead of town gas.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
If the nominal voltage didn't change then why did the electricity boards go around changing people's light bulbs and cooker hot plates free of charge?[/quote]

I must of been out that day. :p

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........contrary to popular belief I am extremely careful what I write on this forum.

This post has already been well and truly hijacked so I may as well point you to the website of Claude Lyons who explains UK mains voltage and any harmonisation with the European Union.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My comment was not designed to promote a big debate, but just as a heads up that even "Definative" documents should be carefully scruitinised. I read the article and it does effectively cover many of the caravans electrical issues, but it stuck out like a saw thumb the author either hadn't updated the document to reflect the official change in UK mains supply, or had simple written it incorrectly. Now if that piece of information is wrong, you should be questioning if any other aspects of are wrong.

As I stated Informative not definitive. ;)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Prof............

RogerL said:
- All the EC/EU did was change the name. UK supply voltage never changed, .....................it's still about 240V, just as Spain is still about 220V.

I agree with RogerL

It was my choice to use the word definitive to which you seem to object.

Perhaps you could use your eminent training to Professorship to give my post marks out of 10 so that I may improve to the standards you are setting.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Eu en 60432.
Issued in 1999 tells me nothing we didn't know.
I have a supply of light bulbs rated at 240 -250 v.
Most UK domestic appliances are rated at 220 to 240 v.
Most people have some form of voltage surge protection in the power supply to their computer.
Prof
Are you really saying a manufacturers handbook/ guide should not be taken at face value?
What factor should prompt me to question the accuracy? I'm intrigued.

I did my PHD at UCL London but reading this thread I'd fail!
I'm all for a mass debate but this is very Lower Sixth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gaffer,

I shall simply use what my teachers wrote on my school reports "Must try harder" :unsure:

Dusty
I don't know why your quoting Eu en 60432, That does not define the requirements for UK mains power, But to answer your question, manufacturers of appliances have to provide data about the range of supplies it is designed to operate with. In the case of light bulbs, some manufactures supply the bulb envelope to the EU and other markets, India, Japan etc where the mains supply might be 220 to 250V.
Incidentally The same applies to gas appliances, where for CE approval the appliance must carry on its data plate all the types of gas categories it is approved to work with.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Dustydog said:
I've no idea John .
Something to with light bulbs like the gas ones used by King WC.

I still have it in my mind that cooker electric rings and light bulbs were changed, possibly late 1960s or early 1970s. :huh:
Oh King, I think your mind may be slipping somewhat in the early 70's gas jets were changed in the switchover to natural gas but electric was unaltered, if you think about it a light bulb is a light bulb and such a change would have involved changing every flouresent strip light and bulb in the country something I am sure most of your subjects would remember.
furthermore we were not part of the EEC until 1974ish and it was only on the advent of the EU some 10/15 years later they started interfering in our domestic affairs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Dustydog said:
I've no idea John .
Something to with light bulbs like the gas ones used by King WC.

I still have it in my mind that cooker electric rings and light bulbs were changed, possibly late 1960s or early 1970s. :huh:

Your Royal Woosieness

About 10 years ago British Gas gave me three low energy light bulbs free.
Absolute rubbish.By the time they warm up we've switched off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts