running fridge while towing

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Have a 2008 swift charisma and tow with a KIa sorento, all our trips have been relatively short since we started and never really thought about putting fridge on while towing, off on a longish trip on friday so may as well try it, not sure about how,

Thinking switch main trip switch to on select car from toggle switch and turn fridge on? is taht it?

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what fridge you have, l have Ace Firestar made by swift so l will asssume its the Thetford, all we do is select the battery on the fridge, always seemmed to work, having said that we always have the fridge plug in at home before we leave to get to right temp.

NgelH

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Charlie just as NGH has said its a good idea to run fridge up over night on mains before you leave and then your tow vehicle will keep the temp at cold

You wont gain anything by leaving home and just switching fridge on

Sir Roger

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Charlie i also have a Swift Charisma and tow with a Kia Sportage, run fridge on mains for 24 hrs before you set off turn fridge to mains. then hookup to car turn switch to battery

turn switch in van to car (this will only keep fridge at cold this does not work the thermostat )works with mine remember if you leave attatched to car for long periods it will run down the car battery.

Cheers

Dougie

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Charlie,

Just to confirm, you fridge will automatically receive power when towing, independent on which setting is on your control panel.

You only need to make sure the fridge is on, and drawing its power from the car battery, which is set via the fridge panel.

I hope that helps.

Ash

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Assuming you have your tow car wired for the fridge, and van battery charging, then as Swiftgroup state, all you need do is select the fridge to 12v.

However it is untrue to say that your car battery will go flat, due to supplying the fridge. The fridge is only supplied when the car engine is running.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
HI! Charlie i also have a Swift Charisma and tow with a Kia Sportage, run fridge on mains for 24 hrs before you set off turn fridge to mains. then hookup to car turn switch to battery

turn switch in van to car (this will only keep fridge at cold this does not work the thermostat )works with mine remember if you leave attatched to car for long periods it will run down the car battery.

Cheers

Dougie
It should not drain the battery, the fridge should only be powered while the engine is running

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts