Rusty screws

May 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Does anyone have any ideas how to remove a rusty screw from the rear light cluster on my caravan without cracking the lens.

I cant even get a screwdriver in as the head is completely flat.

Thanks

Gary

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Am I understanding you correctly? Has the screw rusted to an extent that rust has filled the slot where the screwdriver goes? If so, you should still be able to scrape the rust away with a sharp pointed tool, maybe a spike or something similar. Rust is usually relatively soft so once you've scraped out all of the loose stuff, the slot where the screwdriver engages should be revealed again.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
If all else fails, you could try drilling off the screw head with a drill of about 6mm diameter. Be carefull not to drill the lense. Having removed the lense you can then soak the remainder of the screw with penetrating fluid like plus gas, which is avaiable from most auto accessory shops. Then using a pair of mole grips you should be able to get the rest of the screw out. I'd leave the screw soaking over night and apply a second covering about an hour before trying to remove the screw to give time for the fluid to work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary,

Providing you are successful in removing th old screws, I suggest obtaining stainless steel replacements so they don't rust again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts