Sad dog-less!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know some of you will think I have totally "lost the plot" but dog lovers will understand. This will be our first caravan season without our old golden retriever - we bought our caravans for her! She so loved the caravan life - what is it like to caravan without a dog? We may well rescue one again - but need some months to get over loosing her - she was such great company and loved the beaches, coastal paths etc. Anybody else coped with this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.Yes they leave a HUGE gap.we only lasted 2months before we went to the local rescue centre and got Baxter,a 1yr old lurcher....he loves caravaning,we have had so much fun since getting him.good luck

Hi Lorraine

Walks will no longer have the same meaning, if you speak to anyone they will think you odd as it is mostly the dog owners that chat to each other! On the other hand you will have a cleaner van, be able to get up when you want,park in the first available space instead of serching for the shady one, watch other dog walkers getting soaked to the skin, but having said all that I would never want to be without one again.We now only have one but if I lost him tomorrow I would have another within a week!

Hi Lorraine

Walks will no longer have the same meaning, if you speak to anyone they will think you odd as it is mostly the dog owners that chat to each other! On the other hand you will have a cleaner van, be able to get up when you want,park in the first available space instead of serching for the shady one, watch other dog walkers getting soaked to the skin, but having said all that I would never want to be without one again.We now only have one but if I lost him tomorrow I would have another within a week!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lorraine, I have had 5 Golden retrievers over a period of 33 years and each one was a sad loss, Why wait to get over it when you could give another a loving home and endless pleasure as long as you are fit and capable to do so. On each occasion I have lost a dog, it hasn't been long before I have had another, and beleive me it helps.

Good Luck and Regards

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once you have had one I do not believe you can go without. We lost our Lab/Collie cross a few years after 13 excellent years of ownership. Within a couple of months we took on a German Shepard/Collie cross from the NCDL (now Dog Trust)whose owner had died.

Initially he was clearly depressed and not like our old dog at all in that he seemed to prefer his own company. However we gave him time and he is now a fantastic member of the family who races up to greet us when we arrive home. I work from home and he is at my feet now as I write this, having my "tea break".

Do give another dog a chance.

Hi Lorraine. Oh I do feel for you having been through it. My peke Hector was my constant companion and loved the caravan and the camper when I had it. sadly at the age of 16 I lost him to mouth cancer and caravanning was so empty and I love caravanning. There was nothing to get up in the morning for, no fourlegged alarm clock any way to get me up. After a couple of trips away on my own there was only one answer. I now have another peke, Dylan, not yet 2 yrs old. Ok, he cannot replace Hector, no dog could do that but he certainly fills the gap Hector left in my life. Get another dog, Lorraine, you really have no option. Go for it, you won't be betraying the memory of your friend, he will understand. I wish you all the luck in the world. kind regards Nigel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lorraine, so sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our Dobermann (not the viscious beasts that they are made out to be, unless deliberately made that way)the early part of last year. I was all for waiting a length of time before getting another. My partner was very upset and wanted to get another straight away. We lasted a couple of months before getting a rescue Dobermann. She is very different to him. Whilst enjoying going away in the caravan does not become extremely excited as he did. But as time passes her character is coming more and more to the fore. Therefore, from on of the wait brigade, do not beat yourself up, go and get another dog. You can always get one from a rescue centre. Whilst they will not normally have been ill-treated (a good centre will assess the dogs and not allow ones that will be a problem to be rescued - a little harsh maybe, but they do not want the new keepers to take it back upsetting the dog even more) they will be upset as they are going through a period of great change. To start with, you will probably find that the dog will be called by its correct name and the previous dogs name, which can be a little upsetting. So decide to get another dog now and do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lorraine - These other people are right. Dont wait. We have had dogs for 20 years - always 2 at a time and when we have lost one, we give it a couple of months out of respect for the one we've lost and then look for another one. We did exactly the same as you - we dont like putting ours in kennels so we took up caravanning so they could come with us and we all love it. Walks wouldnt be the same without our wonderful dogs with us. OK they hold you back sometimes as you cant go in lots of places because of the dogs but then we look for places that we can take them and I couldnt be without them. Dont wait too long to get another dog - you are so obviously a dog lover and you are going to waste. Help another dog too. Have fun and the best of luck to you. Sue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts