Sadly that time of the year again!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Odd? I don't think so. The clue is in the question.

Build date - should be answered with the date it was built
Purchase date - should be answered with the date you take possession,
Model year - should be answered with year the manufacturer has designed it for.

But I agree that these staggered artificial years can be misleading. But then why does the Tax year start on April 5th?
What's difficult or misleading about Model Year and Registration Date, or original purchase date in the case of a UK caravan.

It's very convenient for industry, car and caravan, to change production during the summer shutdown - any insurer who can't cope with it for caravans is best avoided anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What's difficult or misleading about Model Year and Registration Date, or original purchase date in the case of a UK caravan.

It's very convenient for industry, car and caravan, to change production during the summer shutdown - any insurer who can't cope with it for caravans is best avoided anyway.
I first came across it when using a comparison site. Didn't bother going any further.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am sure that in the event of a claim the offer from the insurer can be challenged if it doesn’t reflect the MY and specification of the caravan. After all when offering trade in price or advertising the selling price dealers have no problem in differentiating. So they will price an August 2017 lower than a October 2017 if the latter is the MY17. It may require the policyholder to stand their ground and show what similar caravans are being advertised at. Then an allowance for some discount on purchase and the claimant should be close to market value. I had to do that with a car and it worked out okay in the end.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly with car insurance, and it will probably be the same with most forms of insurance. The comparison sites don't always give you the whole scope of insurances available. The sites tend to use a fairly rigid set of questions which may not reflect all the possible options of every policy, there can sometimes be lower cost options if you go direct to the insurer.

Not all insurer's are represented on the comparison sites, one notable omission is Direct Line, and there are others.

Also some insurers may offer further discounts, if you have other policies with them or if your a member of a professional body or union. Your body or union should be able to tell you who they may have a discount scheme with.

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are getting mixed up. You may have purchased a model designed for 2018 model year, but you must not falsify the date it was actually manufactured. In your own words you took delivery in oct 2017 there is no way it could have been manufactured in 2018.
This is one of the most confusing things in caravan insurance. The caravan may have been built and sold in 2017 but it i still a 2018 model and needs to be insured as that. If you are worried take the approach suggested by Other Clive which covers everything.
I do believe ours follows a similar path in that it was built in 2017 but is a 2018 eight model. There is nothing in the documents to say this but the electrical certificate is dated 2017 and I assume this was completed once the caravan was built and ready to go out. It was bought from the dealers stock but there is nothing I have to show when they received it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This is one of the most confusing things in caravan insurance. The caravan may have been built and sold in 2017 but it i still a 2018 model and needs to be insured as that. If you are worried take the approach suggested by Other Clive which covers everything.
I do believe ours follows a similar path in that it was built in 2017 but is a 2018 eight model. There is nothing in the documents to say this but the electrical certificate is dated 2017 and I assume this was completed once the caravan was built and ready to go out. It was bought from the dealers stock but there is nothing I have to show when they received it.
Why does caravan insurance need to know the model year when car insurance doesn't?

My car was built in September 2015 and registered new in October 2015 and is a 2016 model year - I know all that but my insurer doesn't, they just know it was registered new in October 2015 so could theoretically be a 2016 model year, a 2015 model year that's taken a few weeks to sell or a 2014 model year that's taken months to sell.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
More than ten years ago a group of caravanners on here abandoned conventional insurance. They pooled their annual premiums into a private club pot. A chance you may say but one that worked for them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am unsure of the following clause in the policy I am considering.

Protected No Claim Discount
We will not reduce your No Claim Discount unless more than two claims happen over three Periods of Insurance in a row. If three or more claims happen then we will reduce your No Claim Discount in line with our usual scale and you will no longer benefit from No Claim Discount protection.

The way I read it is that my No Claims is protected unless I make three claims over a period of three years? Have I understood it correctly? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I read it the same. In essence they are hooking you into a three year contract via the back door. At your first renewal after a claim they know you will have to declare this to a new Insurer who will probably not give you a NCD. Then you are stuck and up goes the premium! A cynical view maybe but one that could cost you a lot 🤪🤪

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I read it the same. In essence they are hooking you into a three year contract via the back door. At your first renewal after a claim they know you will have to declare this to a new Insurer who will probably not give you a NCD. Then you are stuck and up goes the premium! A cynical view maybe but one that could cost you a lot 🤪🤪

Not sure how they can hook you into a 3 year contract if for instance you make a claim in year one and year two you change to another insurer? Surely as your No Claims is protected you can carry it across.

As a matter of interest, does No Claims protect you from anything because if you make a claim whether at fault or not, your premium still goes up?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure how they can hook you into a 3 year contract if for instance you make a claim in year one and year two you change to another insurer? Surely as your No Claims is protected you can carry it across.

As a matter of interest, does No Claims protect you from anything because if you make a claim whether at fault or not, your premium still goes up?
Not literally but by leaving you no choice. I was looking at the worst case you mentioned three years. NCD protected are not always transferable. Each Insurer has different terms which you will have to check.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not literally but by leaving you no choice. I was looking at the worst case you mentioned three years. NCD protected are not always transferable. Each Insurer has different terms which you will have to check.

We are moving from CAMC to a regular insurer so hopefully they will accept the CAMC No Claims?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts