Safe Late Arrival Stop-Over, Plymouth - Roscoff

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I will be taking my new van to France for the first time in July. The ferry route is Plymouth - Roscoff. I have read various horror stories of people being robbed in Aires and therefore wondered what others do. I will not arrive in Roscoff until around 10.30pm and plan to drive until midnight / 1am. Rest for about 4/5 hours and continue my journey around 6am. Are the aires / Service stations safe? Should I just park up at the ferryport and get my sleep there? Or are ther any sites that cater for my needs. I will be driving towards Rennes, then direct south to Bordeaux etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Personally I would stay at the docks when you arrive at Roscoff, there is a very big parking area just before you leave the docks area. It looks safe enough to me.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I think your right. I expect there will be lots of caravanners already there wating for the next early morning Ferry back across.

What do others do????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are you the Simon who replied to my earlier question about the CADAC? if so were you positive or negative, (two Simons replied with opposite answers). To answer your question...

I know how you feel, you've just had a good few hours rest up on the ferry and will want to start your holiday journey. My wife and I travel often to Caen, the ferry arrives 10.00ish pm and we drive for approx three hours and find a motorway aire (large service area - NOT the small rest area only) and look for other caravans, we park up alongside them and have a few hours sleep but the warnings about safety stay with me and sleep does not come easily. The following day we start our journey and stop for rests and snoozes as we need them.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I have dropped my steadies at the dock in roscoff many times lots of room and very safe the roads are good too as u head south chill out and have a kip on the docks

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I think that seems the best idea.

Thanks for the advice....when going South would you go across country to Lorient, then Nantes a head for Rennes then Nantes? This will be my first time with a caravan at 60mph instead of 90mph with no van!!

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I think that seems the best idea.

Thanks for the advice....when going South would you go across country to Lorient, then Nantes a head for Rennes then Nantes? This will be my first time with a caravan at 60mph instead of 90mph with no van!!
Simon havent been up that way for about 8 years fraid im one of those dedicated head for the med guys now but looking at the map that looks pretty straight forward. all the roads were very high quality if my memory serves me right and no tolls either lol have a good time.

PS I go where my TomTom tells me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts