Safefill bottle supplies

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks,
Anyone know what is happening at Safefill.
Having changed recently from a Bailey Unicorn that could nott acommodate 2 x Safefill bottles,
my new van can now accomodate both and I am anxious to obtain the second bottle.
A phone troll through many North West retailers all brings a 'no stock' or 'awaiting stock' answer.
The Safefill site itself only states this once you have clicked on 'buy now'
You cannot get any answer on their phone nor leave a mnessage as the voice box is full, and has been
for almost two weeks now.
Anyone know what is really happening - please

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I can answer my own question now, for advise to anyone considering purchase.
Safefill received a supply of new bottles early June and have used all of that
delivery to send out to their dealers, leaving themselves without any stock,
which is on their website.
I was able to buy my bottle from Ebor caravans Nr York on the day they
received theirs, as I was already holidaying in that area.
Thanks to all anyway.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Yes I noticed that my local Morrison’s had a cage full of Calor bottles. I noticed this as I was putting approximately 7kg of gas into my Safefill. Cost £7.01 remind me how much does a Calorlite cost to exchange? B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Boff said:
Yes I noticed that my local Morrison’s had a cage full of Calor bottles. I noticed this as I was putting approximately 7kg of gas into my Safefill. Cost £7.01 remind me how much does a Calorlite cost to exchange? B)

Each to their own, some prefer Safefill and others don't.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Boff said:

How much does a safefill system cost, and how much to have the bottle tested after, ( is it 10 years ) , as Parksy said each to heir own.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Boff said:

How much does a safefill system cost, and how much to have the bottle tested after, ( is it 10 years ) , as Parksy said each to heir own.

Around £150-160 per bottle depending upon supplier. On CMHC Forum one member was advised by Safefill that bottles for leisure purposes do not require recertification at 10 years. Umph. Safefill website says 10 years. I suspect the cost of return for recertification would outweigh cost of new one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Boff said:

Around £150-160 per bottle depending upon supplier. On CMHC Forum one member was advised by Safefill that bottles for leisure purposes do not require recertification at 10 years. Umph. Safefill website says 10 years. I suspect the cost of return for recertification would outweigh cost of new one.

It is my understanding from my previous professional work involving LPG gas cylinders that periodic re certification of reusable LPG pressurised gas cylinders is a statutory requirement. Companies like Calor who continually own the cylinders are responsible to undertake to do this, and they manage when cylinders are returned through the exchange refill scheme.

Gaslow on their web page
https://www.gaslowdirect.com/Cylinders/Further-Information/Does-the-cylinder-need-to-be-recertified

Confirm this is the case. People who own their own bottles should also undertake to get their cylinders re-certified
I suggest you contact your bottle supplier to find out what scheme to use..

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Boff said:

Just worked it out, It would take me more than 6 years to break even if I bought the safefill bottle just now, so bottle at £175 average price, then another £30 for the adaptor, two fills a year. If I was just starting off caravanning then I would go for one, but not at 67 years old, stick with my calor lites , which I can still get. Not on my Christmas list.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Calorlite bottles are now only available for exchange, not to new users.

The initial deposit of £45 (?) is amortamised over a two year period so is effectively lost.

Hence my choice to buy a Safefill as Calorlite bottles are not available to me.

It will take me about 5 refills of my Safefill bottle to recover its cost, so if it has to be dumped after ten years it will still be a worthwhile investment.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I am completely agnostic about Safefill. We use a lot of gas so they make a lot of sense. Don’t use much gas then they don’t make much sense, as you will never get pay back. Btw The7kg represents our usage since the beginning of June about 9 nights of which 4 were with ehu 5 without. Come December I expect to use almost the equivalent of a Calorlite per weekend.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being interested in the re certification aspect after 10 years I received this reply from Safefill.

“ Its not a service we offer, the certification of a cylinder at 10 years is a recommendation. I suggest if you still want to buy the second hand cylinder you get your local gas fitter to a drop/ leak test on the cylinder for you”

I can see the benefits if you are a regular user of gas so I guess buying new after 10 years would probably be more cost effective than testing and risking a fault being found.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Boff said:
I am completely agnostic about Safefill. We use a lot of gas so they make a lot of sense. Don’t use much gas then they don’t make much sense, as you will never get pay back. Btw The7kg represents our usage since the beginning of June about 9 nights of which 4 were with ehu 5 without. Come December I expect to use almost the equivalent of a Calorlite per weekend.

Yes at that usage I would be going for the safe fill. Even in Winter with the heating on gas and electric using the cooker and the BBQ, we still only use about 1/2 a calor light in two weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts