Safest route to Portesham Dairy Farm Site, Dorset

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone - I'm new to this site (and to caravanning!) and so hope this question is OK ...

We are staying at Portesham Dairy Farm Site, Dorset, in early February, towing a largeish van (Swift Conqueror). Having been caught out by Google Maps a few times I've been checking the route.

Does anyone know the best route from the A35 east, please? Specifically, is it best to take the road to Martinstown from the Poundbury roundabout, then take the B3159 back towards Winterborne Steepleton, and then head down the hill to Portesham?

I ask as B3159 turn off from the A35 at Winterborne Steepleton looks very tight and the A35 is very busy and so difficult to pull out to make the turn easier.

Thanks in advance (and please do easy on the newbie!).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone - I'm new to this site (and to caravanning!) and so hope this question is OK ...

We are staying at Portesham Dairy Farm Site, Dorset, in early February, towing a largeish van (Swift Conqueror). Having been caught out by Google Maps a few times I've been checking the route.

Does anyone know the best route from the A35 east, please? Specifically, is it best to take the road to Martinstown from the Poundbury roundabout, then take the B3159 back towards Winterborne Steepleton, and then head down the hill to Portesham?

I ask as B3159 turn off from the A35 at Winterborne Steepleton looks very tight and the A35 is very busy and so difficult to pull out to make the turn easier.

Welcome to the Forum.
Does the site not have recommended routes from the various directions?

Reactions: Marster
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I usually resist any temptation to advise if I have no personal experience of the area but...............!
Is there any reason why you can't follow the A35 East until you come to "Coombe Road" on your left.

This is a short straight road and turning right at the bottom of the hill onto the B3139 then immediately left to continue along Coombe Road all the way to Portesham.

Through the village and you're there!

Can't see any real issues with this route for you although some roads are narrow - but whichever way you go "nasrrowish" roads are unavoidable.

Enjoy your trip.

site.jpg

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
I usually resist any temptation to advise if I have no personal experience of the area but...............!
Is there any reason why you can't follow the A35 East until you come to "Coombe Road" on your left.

This is a short straight road and turning right at the bottom of the hill onto the B3139 then immediately left to continue along Coombe Road all the way to Portesham.

Through the village and you're there!

Can't see any real issues with this route for you although some roads are narrow - but whichever way you go "nasrrowish" roads are unavoidable.

Enjoy your trip.

View attachment 4249
Thanks John. I was worried it might be too narrow but Charlotte from the site contacted me to say that it's fine - there is room for a car and a tractor to pass each other and so the caravan should be OK!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi Marster Welcome to the forum i look up this site on Uk campsites Owner Directions ... From Dorchester take the A35 towards bridport, after five miles turn left at Winterbourne Abbas & follow signs to Portesham . Carry on through village at the Kings arms pub turn left , the campsite 300 yds on your right
From Weymouth take the B3157 sign posted chickerell follow the road . The campsite is on the left as you enter the village of Portesham

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi Marster Welcome to the forum i look up this site on Uk campsites Owner Directions ... From Dorchester take the A35 towards bridport, after five miles turn left at Winterbourne Abbas & follow signs to Portesham . Carry on through village at the Kings arms pub turn left , the campsite 300 yds on your right
From Weymouth take the B3157 sign posted chickerell follow the road . The campsite is on the left as you enter the village of Portesham
Thanks Beachball - I will check out this site on future trips!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts