Safety at night time? How do you leave your van?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just read on another thread that (not related but in a reply) that the gas should be turned off at night as well as the electrics? Is this really necessary? What do you all do?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If I'm using the van, I don't turn anything off. Perhaps there would be a case for turning the gas off but I don't really see the point of switching the mains supply off, too.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Providing your services are in good condition there is no need to switch everything off at night. We always make sure the TV is unplugged, if we have been watching it, but other than that everything is left "ON".

Just the same as at home really, do you switch all your electric and gas off at night at home?

like everything in life, there are risks, but sensible use and precautions usually suffice!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is what we thought, we unplug the TV etc but (granted first trip) did not turn off the gas or electric....hence I was concerned to see this on another posting...OK will carry on as we were. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you turn the gas and eletric off,what hapens to your frige and heating system?? I leave my heater on low all night when winter caravaning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We don't turn anything off - and like Hugh we would run the heater on low all night if the temperature is minus 5 or soemthing.

We tend to leave the electric water heater on all the time as well - then you have hot water first thing in the morning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'm curious as to why the TV is being unplugged at night, unless it needs moving of course. TVs hold a charge in capacitors and other static in the case and screen etc. If you leave it plugged in but switched off at the socket then this build up can discharge through the earth, which actually makes it safer.

We switch on everything on arrival and then leave it until we're packing up. The water heater stays on permanently as well if we're on hook up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts