Sales of 4x4s

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
G

Well if sales keep falling and Land Rovers new products come under threat, who will pick up that financial mess ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Americans - Ford will simply move production of LR premier brands to the US which now has surplus capacity due to the cheaper manufacturing in places like China Malaysia etc.

The more basic products such as the Defender would probabaly go to Slovakia or another ex-Eastern block but now, or soon to be EU country as grants are available to set up production.

Look at the success Skoda has had.

These numpty Anti's are playing with many peoples livlehoods. Not just LR's but all the ancillary providers as well.

Anyone who was pleased that Rover went down the tubes deserves a kick in the n*ts in my book.

Anyone that deliberatly conspires to bring the last UK built and designed vehicle down will almost certainly get one.

G

If making it fashinable to whine about 4 x 4's and drive sales down, who picks up the short fall.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK

A yes or no answer, nothing more or less.

Q. Is it legal for me to own a 4x4 in this country, which is taxed, insured and road legal (under 3 years old)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Euro

Probably the Chinese who will simply import then and scream "trade barriers" if anyone tries to stop them.

Delt1c.

Yes it is legal for us to drive and own a 4x4 in the UK

However, the Anti's are currently letting tyres down as a "protest" at your quite legal choice. The Police have said this is illegal and if caught the culprit will be charged with malicious damage

The Anti's also invaded the production line at LR some months ago in a protest at 4x4 production in this country. Again this was an illegal trespass.

And this is the nub of the problem.

What we are doing is perfectly legal. What the Anti's do is often not.

The decision government has to make is do they go with the law abiding legal majority or do they role over to placate the law breakers?

My idea is to let them know in no uncertain terms who we will be voting for if they let down the law abiding members of the public.

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
Euro

Probably the Chinese who will simply import then and scream "trade barriers" if anyone tries to stop them.

Delt1c.

Yes it is legal for us to drive and own a 4x4 in the UK

However, the Anti's are currently letting tyres down as a "protest" at your quite legal choice. The Police have said this is illegal and if caught the culprit will be charged with malicious damage

The Anti's also invaded the production line at LR some months ago in a protest at 4x4 production in this country. Again this was an illegal trespass.

And this is the nub of the problem.

What we are doing is perfectly legal. What the Anti's do is often not.

The decision government has to make is do they go with the law abiding legal majority or do they role over to placate the law breakers?

My idea is to let them know in no uncertain terms who we will be voting for if they let down the law abiding members of the public.
Whats really fun, if what I was taught about atmosphere chemistry is true, is this..... It really doesn't matter if we stopped all processes tomorrow that produced CO2 it wouldn't halt or slow global warming, what we are seeing now is the results of 200 years of industrialisation. Banning 4x4s airliners the cement industry stopping cows from farting, it's all rearranging the deck chairs on the titantic, global warming has happened. What we really should be doing is working out how to deal with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter

To a certain extent I agree with you - as you say rearanging the deckchairs on the Titanic is a good metaphor. In this case the Anti's seem to want to destroy just one deckchair (4x4's) in the misguided notian that this alone will save the planet.

My point is that we should be trying the rearrange ALL the Deckchairs to hopefully buy us more time if nothing else. Banning 4x4's will be about as useful in the overall scheme of things as the proverbial chocolate teapot.

What bothers me is that most of the serious articles I have read say that the route cause of Global Warming is still up for debate. I personaly do think that the industrial revolution played and is indeed still playing its part.

But a report I read recently said that the Suns emmissions wax and wain over time - and guess what! - the emmissions and therefore the heating effect of the sun has increased over the last 200 years or so.

All sorts of evidence points to this waxing and waining of the suns output as a regular occurance. So is Global warming part of a perfectly natual cycle? If so is the effect, natural or otherwise, benign to the human race or hostile?

As you say, is it all too late anyway and all we can do is watch the increasingly spectacular sunsets then all bend over and kiss our colective a*ses goodbye?

Or will we adapt as we have in the past?

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
I have to say I'm also prepared to believe that this planet and thesolar system in which it resides is still full of mysteries for us and that there may well be other factors to explain the current levels of climate change, that we cannot measure or detect.

I seem to remember reading an article from the 70's that claimed co2 in the atmosphere would reach such levels that it would in fact absorb UV radiation from the sun and lead to global cooling and the next ice age. I can't help but wonder if a little of both theories is true, nature tends to be full of interesting little checks and balances like that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you read most of the Anti propaganda - you could easily believe that CO2 only existed in the atmosphere as a result of the internal combustion engine.

In fact it has been part of the Carbon Cycle since the year dot.

Without it we would freeze.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

surely the small reduction in 4X4 sales is statistically insignificant especially when overall car sales are down this year. There is not sufficient data to draw any meaningful conclusion. Factors such as the general economic situation, new models to be released etc will all affect the figures.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
This subject should qualify for a 'Most boring topic of all time' award.

No sooner does the hot air get terminated by the Mod than it starts off again.

How about giving it a rest folks and allow everyone to choose their own tow car without criticism?

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with James France.

This topic has, as do most topics about 4x4's, been sidetracked, hijacked, railroaded and totally made a general free for all on an argument which will never produce an outright winner.