Salutary reminder - van burned to the ground...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure if this was the same fire as I saw at Setthorns on Friday night, which according to the wardens was a gas leak on the fridge being ignited by the cooker. I for one would not attempt to fight the fire, its insured and can be replaced. I feel more than ever that the BP bottles are a good idea as they are quick release and melt rather than go bang. We were the otherside of the site and heard the bangs which apparently were the tyres.

It also goes to show that regular servicing is important as we holiday in a potential bomb wrapped in flammable material.

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure if this was the same fire as I saw at Setthorns on Friday night, which according to the wardens was a gas leak on the fridge being ignited by the cooker. I for one would not attempt to fight the fire, its insured and can be replaced. I feel more than ever that the BP bottles are a good idea as they are quick release and melt rather than go bang. We were the otherside of the site and heard the bangs which apparently were the tyres.

It also goes to show that regular servicing is important as we holiday in a potential bomb wrapped in flammable material.
Paul, you simply cannot live your life thinking of a caravan as a potential bomb.

We drive around all day in killing machines, cars cause more death and destruction than any bomb of fire in this modern world.

I shudder when I see boy racers two abreast in souped up corsas flying dowm the road....they just do not understand the implications of one wrong move.

Juat get on with caravaning safely and responsibly and enjoy it!

John

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Well atfer reading these comments i am now terrified to put my family in the caravan. I am one of these people that goes round the house for an hour at night turning off and pulling every plug out, i can not go to sleep if i think there has been a plug left on. When we are away in the caravan i am always at my hubby to turn the gas off when we not using it (think i'm driving him mad) he says that it alright to leave it on but i can not settle until its off. Hearing about these caravans burning to the ground just terrifes me. Please give me some reassurance.

Jenny

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Frank,you are being controversial about what is a very serious issue.Given the choice I would rather follow the advice from Lisa who works for the Fire Service than that proffered by yourself.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have to say there are two distinct types of fire - caravans by their nature are full of Plastic and other lightweight materials that will burn realtively easily i.e sheet Plywood. In fact I cannot think of a more risky structure to sleep in - a garden shed may be.

But thankfully the chances are low - like the fireman pointed out fires don't start on their own it is either bad cooking, the van or its components condition or because someone decides to smoke in their van or something equally stupid like using the hob to help heat the van quicker !! on a cold night.

So which side of the debate am I on - My first instict is to say get eveyone out and away from the van - alert the site manages and the neighbours and let nature take it's course.

However I do urge you to carry a fire extinguisher in your car -When I worked at Heathrow a ground surport vehicle - a Ford Fiesta to you and me caught fire - not thing odd about that as thousands of cars have electrical fires each year. What was different was that this car was under the left wing of a Boeing 747 with around 70 tonnes of Keosene on board - trained use of a hand held unit was all that was needed, I was supprised at how much material a good extinguisher holds and how effective it was in action rather than on the fireground that I had been trained on 2 years before.

Last year I was on the M40 when I came across a Land Rover towing a classic car the brakes had seized on the trailer and the hub was well alight use of my

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, you simply cannot live your life thinking of a caravan as a potential bomb.

We drive around all day in killing machines, cars cause more death and destruction than any bomb of fire in this modern world.

I shudder when I see boy racers two abreast in souped up corsas flying dowm the road....they just do not understand the implications of one wrong move.

Juat get on with caravaning safely and responsibly and enjoy it!

John
John, don't get me wrong, I don't worry about it. What I do worry about are those vans that are used a few times a year and are never serviced or inspected.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
John.L says: "It may seem over the top but it might actually be worth while actually holding an evacuation trial from your caravan."

I haven't quite gone that far, but without being alarmist it's good to be aware at all times of the possible fire dangers - it's easy to lapse into a false sense of security.

We've had a family conference to bring the following points to the fore:

1) fire - everybody out;

2) me, as dad, to judge whether it's worth going for extinguisher;

3) dogs to be untied, removed from danger

4) car keys always available near door (not in handbags in wardrobe);

5) alert neighbours;

6) turn off, remove, gas if possible, but not if any possibility of danger;

7) remove car if safe;

8) call fire brigade (this at No.8 not because I have any disrespect for such wonderful people, but because with the best will in the world they are unlikely to get to the fire in time to deal with the immediate crisis);

9) from the first moment, remember that the caravan has no value compared to life!

The chances are that none of us will ever face such a crisis - but if it does, you should know how you're going to react...!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Plotter " Frank,you are being controversial about what is a very serious issue.Given the choice I would rather follow the advice from Lisa who works for the Fire Service than that proffered by yourself.

PLEASE note I did not offer any advice on this thread, WHY because it is a very serious issue. My only comment was on the topic of fire fighting first aid equipment. Every thing I have ever read says you should have some.

PS My sister works for the NHS but I would not let her treat me for any illness.

Val & Frank

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts