Sandy Balls Gone

Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Another touring site gone no longer taking bookings. Shame nice site in the quiet seasons.[/quote
That's a shame.Time they updated their website which is currently offering short notice winter pitches!
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
Let’s hope other sites don’t follow . Could be the end of the tourer :woohoo:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45796523
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
There is a beautiful area of ancient woodland near to us called Brokerswood. When our kids and grandkids were young we often took them out there and it was just woodland with secret paths and old trees to explore. Then it set up a camping and caravan site in an adjacent meadow. Quite a nice site with the normal facilities. Then areas of the woodland were excluded to non residents and adventure activities started to be undertaken. Then non residents could not go just to enjoy the woods as they were mostly taken over for residents. Then Haulfryn group acquired permission for luxury lodges and the associated essentials of sauna and hit tub etc. Result tourers and campers seemed to be excluded if my web search is correct. But if that’s what the market is looking for business has to respond or die.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
Hoburne Holiday Park Cirencester near me also stopped taking tourers a short while back.
Not good for us tuggers, the death knell on the horizon :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Did you use the Kicking Donkey that was a proper pub!!!
Grew up in North Bradley

Yes many times before it went astray some years back. Christmas trees from the plantation near to the tin church too.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Sickening that ! Its all down to money though

Quite right. Whether it is consumer led or marketing led demand if a business doesn’t respond it doesn’t last long when profits turn to loss. I also think that people’s aspirations for more has an effect in a businesses strategy. At a lower level who would have predicted the features now expected in a touring caravan where even the starter ranges are better equipped than many mid ranges 10 years ago. Take the spread of serviced pitches which tend to be larger so either reducing the number of standard pitches or putting more pitches on a site with increased pitch costs. Times are changing, but was ever thus I guess.
 
May 7, 2012
8,595
1,812
30,935
Visit site
I had not heard of this but statics are more profitable so once they can fill a site with them, tourers get the push. We do not use that type of site though so other than it possibly putting some pressure on the type we do use it will not affect us but families might have problems.
 
Mar 24, 2014
367
80
18,735
Visit site
I'm just culling some old PC magazines and came across this in the April 2017 edition ""Away Resorts CEO Carl Castledine is keen to reassure Sandy Balls' many fans that:: "We very much want to retain the heritage of the estate and the fantastic experience that it provides for its guests". The company has investment plans, but Castledine also says: "We will not be changing the overall feel of the place that so many people love. You can still expect to receive the same facilities services and warm welcome."

Clearly a man of his word......
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
I'm just culling some old PC magazines and came across this in the April 2017 edition ""Away Resorts CEO Carl Castledine is keen to reassure Sandy Balls' many fans that:: "We very much want to retain the heritage of the estate and the fantastic experience that it provides for its guests". The company has investment plans, but Castledine also says: "We will not be changing the overall feel of the place that so many people love. You can still expect to receive the same facilities services and warm welcome."

Clearly a man of his word......
:eek:hmy: Forked tongue :evil:
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Niall_McIntosh said:
I'm just culling some old PC magazines and came across this in the April 2017 edition ""Away Resorts CEO Carl Castledine is keen to reassure Sandy Balls' many fans that:: "We very much want to retain the heritage of the estate and the fantastic experience that it provides for its guests". The company has investment plans, but Castledine also says: "We will not be changing the overall feel of the place that so many people love. You can still expect to receive the same facilities services and warm welcome."

Clearly a man of his word......
:eek:hmy: Forked tongue :evil:

Totally.. A politicians answer if ever I saw one.

My late Grandparents had a touring caravan for which they eventually had a seasonal pitch. They then sold the tourer for a static at the same site; the main reason they gave it up was the annual rent. This went from a few hundred per year, to a few thousand. The same site today has converted one of the touring fields into statics and expanded into an unused field I would play in as a kid. They still take tourers, but the guaranteed big money must be in the "Holiday Home" market.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
Yet the contradiction is that touring caravan ownership , and motor homes, continues to rise year on year. As you say it all comes down to money :(
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Yet the contradiction is that touring caravan ownership , and motor homes, continues to rise year on year. As you say it all comes down to money :(
It was hard to decipher, but the NCC have information which seems to suggest annual growth in Holiday Homes/Static caravan delivered to UK sites. Perhaps this is not as widely reported as the touring caravans and motorhomes sales.
 
Mar 24, 2014
134
0
18,580
Visit site
We went there in March 2017, and there were men with measuring equipment everywhere. Other people on the site at the time said they were planning going to lose the tourers, so no great shock.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts