Sat Digi Box

May 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All
Can anyone recomend a Digi Box "Freesat" or "Sky" that is a reasonable price and won't break the bank.
At the moment i have one from a kit from a local electronics store which do's not store the channels in the right position, you have to sort yourself and assign your own Channel No's. Any help would be appreciated.
Derek

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Surely you only need to "Sort" out your favourites once and the box will remember them?

My favourites I can count on little more than one hand so for me the "one off" task would not take more than five minutes. Much less effort than buying another decoder. Mine is a cheap 12 volt Comag [£39] for the van in the UK or when out of the UK where we need a good EPG and have EHU, the Humax Freesat from home.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I have an old sky box in the caravan but use one of these Freesat boxes at home
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321557/Trail/searchtext%3EFREESAT.htm

They were about £25.00 when I bought mine but the price has crept up to £30.63 but still good value. If you want the obscure channels you can get on a sky box you need to tune them in manually.

May 27, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply. Like you i can count all Fav's on one hand but when the g,kids are with us i a bit of a pain trying to find the channels for them

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We always take our Sky Plus box from home and Card and get a of the programmes we want all of the time all over Europe. 80 cms Dish on a tripod anchored down with guy ropes.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I bought a full satellite system from Lidl, the one in the plastic suitcase two years ago for £25.00 remote etc, easy to set up, I have mine on an old camera Tripod you can store favourites etc in the order you want and its 12 or 240 volt. I now in my area that when they are advertised you have to go very early to get one as the local caravan dealers etc buy them to sell on.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
The problem I found with the cheap satellite systems is as Derek RDG highlighted in his first post. The EPG does not automatically update itself, it has to be done manually. This is the advantage of using a "Freesat" box or a $ky box. Using a sky box you need to buy a viewing card to get some of the programmes they, rather confusingly, also call it a freesat viewing card.
I find the "Freesat" system far less trouble......... easy to set up, good EPG and automatic EPG updates. A slight downside is that you have to manually tune sky news but once its done its done. (Rupert Murdoch threw his rattle out of his pram and I think it indicates why he should never be allowed to control the broadcasting system in this country...... ooops getting political!!)

Although the cheap Lidl type systems will do the job I personnally can't be bothered with them when there is a system, nearly as cheap, which does it all for me.

But then I'm just getting old and lazy I guess!!!!!

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
The problem I found with the cheap satellite systems is as Derek RDG highlighted in his first post. The EPG does not automatically update itself, it has to be done manually. This is the advantage of using a "Freesat" box or a $ky box. Using a sky box you need to buy a viewing card to get some of the programmes they, rather confusingly, also call it a freesat viewing card.
I find the "Freesat" system far less trouble......... easy to set up, good EPG and automatic EPG updates. A slight downside is that you have to manually tune sky news but once its done its done. (Rupert Murdoch threw his rattle out of his pram and I think it indicates why he should never be allowed to control the broadcasting system in this country...... ooops getting political!!)

Although the cheap Lidl type systems will do the job I personnally can't be bothered with them when there is a system, nearly as cheap, which does it all for me.

But then I'm just getting old and lazy I guess!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts