Sat Nav awareness

blu

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone

Having just bought my first Sat Nav i had spent the first couple of weeks using it wherever i went.This was partly the novelty value and partly to get used to it,However on our first trip using it with the caravan in tow it did its job and took me straight to the site as i expected.After pitching the van and setting up i set off to find the nearest supermarket,i stocked up with essentials and got back in the car i realised that not only had i not brought my Sat Nav but i had taken absolutley no notice of how i got to the supermarket and i struggled to find my way back.I have always considered myself to have a very good sense of direction but was amazed at the speed which this technology seemed to remove this sense.Im all for technology and progress but is it turning us into a nation of zombies.

Anybody had any similar experiences.

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi Blu

I only use it when I need it and then I check the route before leaving - never get to depend on them!

However it's great swapping the strained 'I told you to take that turn' arguments for a very accepting 'recalculating' said in the most patient of voices...you arrive at your destination so much more relaxed. Lets hope it works for tomorrows BH journey.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Satellite Navigation ...... Now there's a thought.

I started driving lorries (sorry trucks) in 1975.After a few years (when we had kids)the family noticed that I had developed a strange phenomenon.I have since found out that it is not that unusual among professional drivers.My family call it ' Lorry driver's instinct ',which to this day I have never lost.Over the years I have added the latest technology to this instinct i.e updated atlases.

However the next item added to the above 2 was Multimap.com.It has opened up a new world for travelling.

I now consider that I have everything I need to get me,the wife,the dog and my caravan from A to Z.

I don't think I need Sat Nav.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pat

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
We only use our Sat Nav after we have got to the site.

Its handy for getting back on days out.

Never trust them towing! Been caught out too many times now.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have ours on when towing but don't trust it when the van is on the back. I leave the husband to navigate (and we always use the sites directions if they have them).

I love my sat nav, I use it all the time and apart from one scary bit of confusion around Birmingham, it's got me from A to B no probs.

Blu - I struggle with maps so for me, sat nav is a life saver. My daughter however excels in map reading. She only has to go somewhere once and remembers the route and could even remember it a year later. Amazing.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I think she probably has. LOL!

Don't you find it funny though with children (if you have them). The mother and father can be really really rubbish at something yet their child can be totally the opposite?

LIsa

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I must admit Lisa My kids embraced technology before I did.The last vcr we bought baffled us so much that we have now got rid of it.No video in our house.Bliss.....but we have got freeview which we are getting to grips with.I can now record but have yet to get it to play what I have recorded.The wife is much better at it than I am(maybe I should have phrased that differently)

Pat

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts