Sat Nav

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

we're going to Brittany on Monday via Roscoff but returning via St Malo. Does anyone know the Lat/Long for the St Malo ferry dock?

I can't find it anywhere.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Philip;

Do you know if that's in degrees and decimal degrees or degrees, minutes and seconds.

The position of the decimal point is confusing me.

Ta Tony

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Philip;

Do you know if that's in degrees and decimal degrees or degrees, minutes and seconds.

The position of the decimal point is confusing me.

Ta Tony
Me again Philip,

I think i have worked it out. It seems to be degrees and then minutes to three decimal places.

I have divided the minutes number by 60 to give me the decimal degrees that my TomTom seems to want.

ttfn again

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Why dont you phone the ferry company and ask the address of the docks, you can then enter this address into your TomTom. Thats how I use mine.

Graham W.
They wll be degrees, minutes and decimal minutes. To convert to degrees, minutes and seconds divide the decimal (eg .570)by 60.

therefore N48 38.570 becomes N48 38 34

Hope I'm not stating the obvious :)

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi GSWB and Philip,

GSWB, when you say 'an address' what do you mean by that? In the UK a postcode is all you need to get within 200 meters. What have the French got to match that? A paragraph?

I predict that in 4 to 5 years from now this stuff will be considered the dark ages. Just as everywhere has a site on the net today, in future the rest of Europe will automatically(the UK has already in postcodes) include a sat-nav position, but in what form i don't know.

The ferry company has a 'Frequently asked question' area but there is nowt (i'm from Yorkshire) on it about sat-navs. They must have their reasons?

They have a 'contact us' button too but you go in circles and end up at the number you first thought of.

Interestingly, the camp site does give its Latitude and Longitude figures in decimal degrees in their literature. Good, but not as simple as a postcode.

You blokes will understand when i say that my lovely wife bought me the TomTom for my birthday but i'm not sure who is actually getting the benefit. She enjoys motoring/holidaying now, having no other (map reading) duties.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tram I have just returned from Brittany and had a brilliant two weeks there - Benodet. Every thing was in our favour, weather, camp site, etc. Only thing beware of the caterpillars as they give a nasty sting if you are not careful. My 13 year old grand daughter cried pityful in pain from a sting. Enjoy your stay and make the most of it - we did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts