Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi can anyone recommend a satalite navagation system that can be transferred between two cars and suitable to be used when towing a caravan. thanks mo.

Don't know anything about putting sat nav into cars because ours came with it in, but I find our sat nav difficult to use when we have the caravan with us. This is because there is no option on it to say we are towing and sometimes it will take us a quick but strange route with small roads and no passing places. On at least two occassions this has been a nightmare!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the TomTomGO, and as has been said, it can easily be transferred between cars as it is a compact single unit.As for use when towing, if you ask it to choose a route, you have the options of choosing fastest (which may take you down unsuitable roads), or avoid motroways, toll charges etc.

However, once Tom has selected a route, you can review the route and see if it takes in unsuitable roads, then in Options, ask it to avoid that road, and it will recalculate a different route.

If you just happen to find, whilst driving that it takes you off a better road, just keep on driving and within a second or two it will recalculate a new route for you.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
I have the TomTomGO, and as has been said, it can easily be transferred between cars as it is a compact single unit.As for use when towing, if you ask it to choose a route, you have the options of choosing fastest (which may take you down unsuitable roads), or avoid motroways, toll charges etc.

However, once Tom has selected a route, you can review the route and see if it takes in unsuitable roads, then in Options, ask it to avoid that road, and it will recalculate a different route.

If you just happen to find, whilst driving that it takes you off a better road, just keep on driving and within a second or two it will recalculate a new route for you.
Mo

I tend to agree with Damien as I have TomTom installed on a IPAQ PDA. This option can also be transferred between cars and can be air vent or suction mounted to the window. the PDA is also useful as it is a hand held computer (windows compatable) The TomTom Go option will just work out of the box but the PDA has to have the TT software installed by yourself. My experience of tomtom is that it tries to take you via the highest grade roads (ie motorway, A road etc) as soon as possible so this can take you a bit out of your way. You still need to use a reasonable map and a bit of common sense or you could end up dawn narrow roads. As last comment, if you ignor the voice prompts to take a more obvious route or by mistake it will immediately re-route you to get you back on track, however this may involve turning around and going back unless you ignor this until it re-routes altogether. The Navigation is very accurate to about 5 meters. It is definately better at navigation than the wife. (Thats me in trouble again)

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mo

Sat Nav is a great idea, and works well most of the time, but use a map to compliment. Mine has tried to take me down some dodgy roads before. Last year while on holiday (fortunately my caravan was back at the site)it took us down a road that had so many potholes. They were so deep I wouldn't even take my 4 x 4 down there. Having said that, it is good as a comfort factor.

Dave

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
i bought a classic tomtomgo last year and its superb (& saved me points on my licence!)

have a look at the forum on www.mytomtomgo.co.uk for more info

the basic ttgo300 features include 'navigate to post code' (most pda sat nav's dont do this without needing to install poi's to do the job) and integrated major routes of europe map

the imminent ttgo500 is basically the same model with bluetooth capability for live traffic etc

the ttgo700 is also due out soon and features a hard drive containing all the detailed maps of western europe and faster processor

all will simply plug in and go but i recommend downloading and installing the speed camera database and caravan park points of interest files available as free downloads

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts