sat nav

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I got Navfree for my iphone which is free for UK and Ireland and it works just fine - although like nearly all SatNavs (even very expensive ones) when using my own postcode it goes to my back garden which is at the top of a narrow street with no access to my house instead of up the next street and along the short cul de sac to the front of the house. I frequently have difficulties with delivery vans not being able to find us, despite the house being here for 25 years!!!!!

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Philspadders said:
of course you never , ever set your home destination as a fixed location in your sat nav.... do you... just in case it gets knicked
I don't understand, what would be the difference between my home address & any other contact address stored in the device?
And yes, I do have 'home' set to my home, I also don't unstick it from the windscreen when I go into a supermarket even though most of the time I forget to lock my car or have to use any security devices on my caravan to satisfy an insurance company.

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
Nick in France said:
Philspadders said:
of course you never , ever set your home destination as a fixed location in your sat nav.... do you... just in case it gets knicked
I don't understand, what would be the difference between my home address & any other contact address stored in the device?
And yes, I do have 'home' set to my home, I also don't unstick it from the windscreen when I go into a supermarket even though most of the time I forget to lock my car or have to use any security devices on my caravan to satisfy an insurance company.

The theory is, if it gets nicked while you're on holiday, the thieves can happily go and burgle your house, knowing you won't be coming back to interrup them. Personally, I think the advantage of having 'Home' set outweighs the small risk of this happening but anyway...
You don't lock your car? I assume it's an old shed that no-one wants to nick?
smiley-wink.gif

I agree about the security devices on caravans - pretty pointless and I only have them for my insurance policy. The only time they would be useful would be if I was pitched near to a similar van that had no security (like yours!) - I'm sure the thieves would prefer the easier option.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regards to setting a home destination:
The potential problem is if you have your house number and/or your surname as part of the details. So I avoid this by using the "crossing" feature that Tomtom has as my destination where you specify a junction between two roads rather than a house number.

As for names, I tend to use either initials, or first names.

So, if you cant find your way home from the end of your road should you be driving?

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
With regards to setting a home destination:
The potential problem is if you have your house number and/or your surname as part of the details. So I avoid this by using the "crossing" feature that Tomtom has as my destination where you specify a junction between two roads rather than a house number.

Or set it to be that neighbour you don't like
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
nelmo said:
The theory is, if it gets nicked while you're on holiday, the thieves can happily go and burgle your house, knowing you won't be coming back to interrup them. Personally, I think the advantage of having 'Home' set outweighs the small risk of this happening but anyway...
I agree with you, although I don't even think about someone nicking my SatNav far less than using information contained within it.
You don't lock your car? I assume it's an old shed that no-one wants to nick?
smiley-wink.gif
I don't think Jaguar would be too pleased with you calling one of their 2 year old products an 'old shed'
Anyway there are normally easier targets than an unlocked car, yesterday I noticed 3 cars abandoned (the French don't park cars, they abandon them somewhere within walking distance of the curb) all empty, all with their engines running outside a shop in my local town centre.
The only time they would be useful would be if I was pitched near to a similar van that had no security (like yours!) - I'm sure the thieves would prefer the easier option.
I do fit a wheel clamp for my own peace of mind but it's not an insurance requirement.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I too am careless about locking cars, although both of mine would probably come under the "old shed" category! But there's always the thought that if the cars not locked, then the thieves will do less damage when they nick your sat-nav
BTW, my "old shed" takes me and my "old shed" caravan all over Europe every year, and none of them have ever let me down.
Perhaps that's because Herself & I are "old sheds" too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts