Sat nav

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
I would appreciate any feedback/advice as to what is the best Sat nav to get for my motor home.

I have been looking at these so called dedicated ones like " aguri" and such like but can't see a definite leader among them all.

I will be using it in the UK and Europe and would like the facility of being able to put in map co-ordinates as well as post codes and addresses, any ideas or suggestions would be a help .

Thanks in advance,
Jackal.
Sorry if I'm repeating stuff here !!!

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My personal notes on using sat navs over the last 10 years or so Here, including an unscientific comparison of three units over the last few months.

I enquired about Aguri a few months ago but was told that you can not add your own sets of third party POIs (which I need) and that the traffic facility required a link to a mobile phone with data charges. Also, at that time certainly, they were only available mail order so no chance to look at one first.

Graham

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
My personal (and I stress personal) is to give a thumbs up for the Garmin 760LTD.
I stupidly used an ordinary car type Tom Tom Go in my last motorhome and that was a disaster. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no damage was done but it was a fiasco getting a motorhome under low bridges, narrows lanes etc.
With the Garmin, I just entered my dimensions and it's never let me down. I'm not saying it couldn't or wouldn't let me down. But up to now, I've only got good words to say about it. Both here and mainland Europe.
As I say, this is my view only.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Always used Tom Tom, FREE updates included What ever Sat Nav you use, you still need maps. A sat nav can not physically see road closures, road works etc. Also keep an eye on the road signs
Works for us , in 10 years of foreign travel

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chirene,
I'm really confused now !
I was under the impression that Tom Tom updates were chargeable. At least, when I had a Tom Tom, I used to pay (I think it was £52) a year. Also, any updates had to done onto an SD card as the unit didn't have enough internal memory. It could have all changed though I must admit.
First hand experience though, I'm 100% certain that the Garmin maps and updates are free for life.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Payment (or not) for maps varies with devices, even with Garmin I think. Some come with Lifetime Maps (Garmin designate them as LM models) and some don't. It's a similar matter with traffic alerts.

Graham

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Inca said:
Hi,
My personal (and I stress personal) is to give a thumbs up for the Garmin 760LTD.
I stupidly used an ordinary car type Tom Tom Go in my last motorhome and that was a disaster. Fortunately, no one got hurt and no damage was done but it was a fiasco getting a motorhome under low bridges, narrows lanes etc.
With the Garmin, I just entered my dimensions and it's never let me down. I'm not saying it couldn't or wouldn't let me down. But up to now, I've only got good words to say about it. Both here and mainland Europe.
As I say, this is my view only.

It gets my vote too.

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback,I have decided to go for the 760 Ltd .
I'll see how it performs next week when we go to europe for a couple of months and will post any useful stuff on here when I get back,
Cheers for now,
Jackal.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We get FREE updates with ours. And plug it into computer, to download to TT
i guess it depends what the deal was on purchase. Always found Tt very good. We had garmin when we had our boat, was Ok as a marine tool, but found Tt better on the road.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
For what its worth I plumped for a Garmin 760mt-d mainly because you get free updates for life I purchased it from the motorhome show last October direct from Garmin.. My old Tom Tom was no longer supported so they offered me a special priced upgrade at £275. The must have thought I was daft.
Anyway I used the Garmin now on 3 trips its easy to set up good clear instructions and has up to the minute traffic info all for the same price of the special priced upgrade from TOM TOM Really pleased with the choice I have made and it is a well known brand.
I hopes this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts