Sat Navigation - Using A Laptop

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart.....I read with interest your comments in respect of how you have set up a GPs system using your laptop Comp.

As I am not a Techie at all but have a Laptop and, tour extensively throughout Europe is it possible that you could email me wih exactly how I might be able to set up a similar system. As on the surface, yours sounds a really great set up.

If you can take the time out to respond, I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks in anticipation Pete - Locksideuk1(AT)aol.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, we have been in touch privately but i thought i would put what I have found to date for others to see.

www.cpc.co.uk website will show you CS 10657 which is a GPS module connected by USB cable to a laptop. It apparently comes with MS autoroute 2002 which is not wonderful but not all that bad either - for example none of the Autoroute products yet show the new M6 toll road.

I gather it will just show you where you are on the map, but not give you cvoice prompts as do the more sophisticated products.

The other problem is that many lap-top batteries will not last more than a couple of hours, so you will need to get either a 12v supply cable (which can cost up to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used this set up for three years, http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=2730&category_id=21&pp_id=0 strongly advise the Royaltec Saphire USB receiver, works a treat. This software will voice guide you, Autoroute won't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used this set up for three years, http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=2730&category_id=21&pp_id=0 strongly advise the Royaltec Saphire USB receiver, works a treat. This software will voice guide you, Autoroute won't.
I use a Garmin Etrex which can be used freestanding connected to an IBM 240 laptop (really small and light) powered from the cigarette lighter using a Maplin adaptor which was about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts