Satelite Dish ???

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello

I intend to purchase a mobile system for my caravan, is the suction, roof mounted system preferable to a pole and stand, I cannot get a definitive preference on either method??

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
I use a modified rotary clothes line !! Line removed and used 'upside down' makes a very stable stand for the dish which is bolted to the small removable bit which would normally go in the ground. Light and easy to fold up.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
It depends what sort of pitches you choose to stay on. Anywhere where there are trees or other obstacles you should get a tripod to mount the dish on so that you can vary the position to get a signal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

Six years ago I bought the Maxview dish & tripod. Never looked back. Does the job every time with ease.

Yes I could have done a Heath Robinson affair. But tell me how any can get a full pic at Morvich Scotland.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Paul

Six years ago I bought the Maxview dish & tripod. Never looked back. Does the job every time with ease.

Yes I could have done a Heath Robinson affair. But tell me how any can get a full pic at Morvich Scotland.

Cheers

Dustydog
Dustydog. just back from Morvich today (sunday ) got great picture no bother with my setup (was on pitch 25 )Maplin dish, with an old Skybox setup in less than 5 minutes so whats the problem ??P.S weather was sunny 1minute then heavy rain the next still got great picture

cheers Duggie

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Paul

Cheers

Dustydog
Dustydog. just back from Morvich today (sunday ) got great picture no bother with my setup (was on pitch 25 )Maplin dish, with an old Skybox setup in less than 5 minutes so whats the problem ??P.S weather was sunny 1minute then heavy rain the next still got great picture

cheers Duggie

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I did same as Len i pinched the wife`s rotary clothes line turned upside down for the tripod and bought the dish on ebay. Doing it this way you can move the tripod well out the way of obstructions, if its a suction roof mounted one you have 2 choices:- On the caravan but still you may have a tree just where you need to point the dish. On the car, but will have to reset it everytime you go out and come back in. I have never had a problem getting a signal where ever i have stayed. Also as a bonus the wife would rather watch television than do the washing.(Browny points for using the airer)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

Cheers

Dustydog
Hi Douglas

I meant to say my kit worked at Morvich but dad in laws Aldi didn't.

I admit I had my dish on the highest tripod setting and was aiming at the tiny "dip" on the far horizon. The angle of elevation was barely 5 degs.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi Douglas

I meant to say my kit worked at Morvich but dad in laws Aldi didn't.

I admit I had my dish on the highest tripod setting and was aiming at the tiny "dip" on the far horizon. The angle of elevation was barely 5 degs.

Cheers

Dustydog
HI! Dustydog picked you up wrong thought you couldn,t get a picture at all if you are on the wrong pitch there is no chance of getting anything very small area through the hills but a very good site for piece and quite /walking.All the best Duggie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi Paul The only problem with roof mounted sat dish is when setting up,it is getting on the roof to get a signal! this is pretty precise.We started with a pole attached to the jockey wheel ,this is ok if the van is facing east.Just got back from

Bingham Grange (River Cottage just down the road)guess what, due west, so I ask Lynne could I use the base of her rotary washing

line ,best thing ever, move sat dish to clear sight line ,bingo

lock on ,bang tent pegs in ,no problems.Tripod every time.

Rob&Lynne&Woofers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi Paul The only problem with roof mounted sat dish is when setting up,it is getting on the roof to get a signal! this is pretty precise.We started with a pole attached to the jockey wheel ,this is ok if the van is facing east.Just got back from

Bingham Grange (River Cottage just down the road)guess what, due west, so I ask Lynne could I use the base of her rotary washing

line ,best thing ever, move sat dish to clear sight line ,bingo

lock on ,bang tent pegs in ,no problems.Tripod every time.

Rob&Lynne&Woofers

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul, I have the Maplins kit (the one with the plastic dish). The kit comes with a mount for either the top or side of the van using 3 suction cups. It also includes what I can only describe as a G clamp that replaces the suction cups if you need to be even more versatile. I have the Image tv aerial and mast. If I can't get a satellite signal from using the suction cups on the side of the van ( a rare occurance) then I put up the aerial mast without aerial and use the G clamp to put the dish on top of the mast. In three years I have never failed to get a picture anywhere in the uk, and I don't have much patience for these things! The biggest enemy of the satellite user is trees - just consider the dish and trees when you pick a pitch.

Hope this helps

Dave

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul.

I have used a Lidle sat kit for over 5 years now. It has a G clamp fitting with it which I use to mount the dish on the jockey wheel post. This seems to work fine and the other plus is that I can see the signal strength on my tv while setting up.

I adapted my mobile kit to accept the sky plus LNB so we can have the benifit of recording while we are out having fun.

ATB Steve L.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Earlier this year we went for a "Fast Finder Portable dish":

http://shop.satelliteonline.co.uk/fast-finder-portable-satellite-dish-kit-330-p.asp
Been very pleased with it and happy to recommend it.

Being low its very stable in the wind.

Obviously being low introduces a greater risk from line of sight obstructions.

We can report that it worked down in the west Pyrenees on Astra 2 E.

If you can visit shop its a good bit cheaper than online.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts