Satellite channels ??

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I posted last week about getting the correct satellite fixings for Astra 28.2.

Just come back form the weekend trip to North Yorkshire, great reception, got brilliant signal, but got very few channels, only BBC London, BBC2, ITV Granada, & a few kids channels.

No Ch 4 or 5 or any other freeview channels,

I wonder if the prob is that i am still using a an old tv with a freeview reciever add on, but cannot use the reciever when using the satellite,could that be the prob, do i need a new HD tv?

Any comments appreciated!!

Paul.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
it could depend on your receiver.My satellite receiver does list ch4 or 5 but searching the epg look for prog 739 and its ch 4.

You should get lots of"rubbish" channels when aligned correctly such as bid up tv, qvc, and er,,,a few adult ones...

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Presumably you have got a sky viewing card.I only use sky in the van and purchased a card for a one off price of 20 pounds(this was about three years ago), and have just had it renewed by sky for free.This was to enable us to receive channel 4 and 5 and some ITV channels.The sky card cost more than the box and dish off of e-bay!If you know somebody with sky at home or have it yourself try using the box on their dish and see what you get.I used my sons and got the box pre programmed before trying it in the van,so i knew it would work with the correct signal.This also lets you watch your local home BBc and ITV regional programs.You can't beat watching BBC east half way up a mountain in Switzerland(You'll need a 70cm dish)

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Presumably you have got a sky viewing card.I only use sky in the van and purchased a card for a one off price of 20 pounds(this was about three years ago), and have just had it renewed by sky for free.This was to enable us to receive channel 4 and 5 and some ITV channels.The sky card cost more than the box and dish off of e-bay!If you know somebody with sky at home or have it yourself try using the box on their dish and see what you get.I used my sons and got the box pre programmed before trying it in the van,so i knew it would work with the correct signal.This also lets you watch your local home BBc and ITV regional programs.You can't beat watching BBC east half way up a mountain in Switzerland(You'll need a 70cm dish)
Erm..... if the OP is seeing Granada then he must have a Sky viewing card or he would be watching Central West (the default) - or he has a Freesat (as distinct from Freesat-from-Sky) box and hasn't reset it for local channels.

Don't get confused between Freeview and Freesat. Freeview is entirely terrestrial but, until Digital Switchover (DSO) takes place for a given area then, with a few exceptions, Freeview is only available from main stations. Having said that a good deal of central North Yorks is served by Bilsdale which is a main station but broadcasts Newcastle telly. DSO for Yorks is next year.

Freesat on the other hand is exactly that. If using a Sky box and only getting a few stations then it suggests that the dish is not fully correctly aligned. BBC London suggests a Sky box without a card - was it definitely Granada and not Central West? Only Five and its siblings and a few others are not available on a Sky box without a viewing card - Ch4 certainly is available.

Both Freeview and Freesat will use a SCART input to the TV so what type of tuner is fitted inside the TV is of no consequence as it is not being used.

Sounds to me like you were watching Freeview, not Freesat. Remember it is signal QUALITY that matters with any digital format reception, signal strength to a much lesser degree.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Erm..... if the OP is seeing Granada then he must have a Sky viewing card or he would be watching Central West (the default) - or he has a Freesat (as distinct from Freesat-from-Sky) box and hasn't reset it for local channels.

Don't get confused between Freeview and Freesat. Freeview is entirely terrestrial but, until Digital Switchover (DSO) takes place for a given area then, with a few exceptions, Freeview is only available from main stations. Having said that a good deal of central North Yorks is served by Bilsdale which is a main station but broadcasts Newcastle telly. DSO for Yorks is next year.

Freesat on the other hand is exactly that. If using a Sky box and only getting a few stations then it suggests that the dish is not fully correctly aligned. BBC London suggests a Sky box without a card - was it definitely Granada and not Central West? Only Five and its siblings and a few others are not available on a Sky box without a viewing card - Ch4 certainly is available.

Both Freeview and Freesat will use a SCART input to the TV so what type of tuner is fitted inside the TV is of no consequence as it is not being used.

Sounds to me like you were watching Freeview, not Freesat. Remember it is signal QUALITY that matters with any digital format reception, signal strength to a much lesser degree.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info, but I ned to explain furhter, The set up i am using is one of the satellite in a suitcase jobs from maplins,

so i guess it gets the freesat/free-to-air channels.

I get a cracking signal, set the "comag SL30" reciever to astra 28.2 only, so i guess i am on the correct setting,

Hope this helps

Paul

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Paul first off I suggest as your on the maplins set you do a complete retune as 4and 5 are certainly on free to air, go into menu and go to fist time installation and boot from there .

If you have further problems ask Parksy to give you my email address and Ill go through it all for you but somewhere Parksy does have my guide to install free to air but no probs either way , email If you Like

Sir Roger

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
is it an A grade or B Grade Maplins

Is i posted before,if its the B grade then Ch 4 and 5 are NOT in the presets or even register on a full scan. Search your channel listing and ch 4 is on 739 or there abouts .

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
Paul

You are lucky! We've had one of these suitcase kits for about 3 years but can't get any channels. I don't know what we're doing wrong! Any suggestions? No technical answers please - we don't understand them.

Anne

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
You and me both Anne. I have only once got the thing to work, and that was only for one evening .....the following day the reception had gone. Took it with us to the reader rally 2 weeks ago, vans either side of me had dishes which, I assume, were working but i couldnt get anything on mine. Didnt like to knock on my neighbours doors to ask if they could help though.

Still, it was quite nice without the telly, read a very good book which i may not have done otherwise.:)

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
anthony (NI) .... got that, printed instructions, take them with me. Also was recently given a sky box, printed off the instructions for that too. Not a peep from either. Bought a new cable in case that was at fault but still no joy.

Doesnt matter, next trip is to France and i wouldnt take it there anyway, even if i could make it work. Rest of trips are just 2 nighters and im sure i can manage that without a tv.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Mags and Alan and any body else that has a problem setting up maplins satellite in a box system If you need help ask Parksy for my E mail address I will get you up and running in no time at all.

Sir Roger

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
You and me both Anne. I have only once got the thing to work, and that was only for one evening .....the following day the reception had gone. Took it with us to the reader rally 2 weeks ago, vans either side of me had dishes which, I assume, were working but i couldnt get anything on mine. Didnt like to knock on my neighbours doors to ask if they could help though.

Still, it was quite nice without the telly, read a very good book which i may not have done otherwise.:)
You should have called mags and alan ,i have a professional sat meter with satellites programed in the meter , failing that i have a quad LNB on mine i could have run a cable over to your van

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
You should have called mags and alan ,i have a professional sat meter with satellites programed in the meter , failing that i have a quad LNB on mine i could have run a cable over to your van
Aw thank you. I suppose I ought to have really but I dont like to bother people if its not an emergency. Lesson learnt perhaps.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Mags and Alan and any body else that has a problem setting up maplins satellite in a box system If you need help ask Parksy for my E mail address I will get you up and running in no time at all.

Sir Roger
Hi Sir Roger. Thanks for your comment. In fact, it is your instructions i have, from similar discussions last year. Its either me being gormless or theres a problem with my equipment I think. As I say above, i did get it working once last year. I cant even practice at home because of surrounding trees.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Mags and Alan.

I really dont mind how many times this comes up I am here to help I am now out of work due to redundancy so If I manage to sit down here at the pc and help somebody then I have had a good day.If I can help please ask Parksy or another mod for my email addrees and Ill sort the thing out for you.

Sir Roger

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Mags and Alan.

I really dont mind how many times this comes up I am here to help I am now out of work due to redundancy so If I manage to sit down here at the pc and help somebody then I have had a good day.If I can help please ask Parksy or another mod for my email addrees and Ill sort the thing out for you.

Sir Roger
Im sorry to hear of your redundancy. I will ask for your email and see if we cant get me sorted one way or another. Thank you.

Mags

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts