Satellite Sets

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Are the sets available at caravan stores or Maplinsetc, easy to install,do they work and is anything else required to get satisfactory reception. Do they include a digi-box to enable analogue TV's to be used with them or would I need a new TV?

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we got the maplins one from their b grade stock for 39.99.

It comes with the 'digi box' I have been reliably informed ( on this forum ) that they work well but ive not been able to set it up at home yet as we are surrounded by trees and cant get a clear view of the southern sky without standing in the middle of the road. I will be taking it on our next trip with the van, maybe i'll have a sympathetic neighbour who will help. There are lots of threads on this forum on the subject, this is one of them http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=11&FM=413343

and this is a good site, crammed with information http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=11&FM=413343

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
louise as you can see these sets are available from Maplins and yes they work very well and the new ones now are free to air.

They are very easy to to set up .

I have somewhere on the forum a fairly detailed way to set them up.

Once you have set the the system up its quite easy its just that first time thats a bit tricky.

Also channel 4 is on there now so if you want to watch big brother your ok

Me Id rather clean the brasses at Buggram Hall

Toodle Pip Sir Roger

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
This is nothing to do with the topic , we took our standard Sky satellite system using a standard Sky dish , in Carlucet south of France , and it worked perfect recieving all our subscription channels

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
I have just come back from France ( Poitou Charente) where we stayed at my brother in laws house. Took my satellite kit as he has tv but only for watching videos etc ( no aerial) so thought would be ideal location to practice setting up. Managed to do it first time, although as only a small dish couldnt get uk channels other than BBC World. But the purpose of the excercise was fulfilled and I now know what to do when Im on UK sites, thanks to Sir Roger's instructions

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Mags and Alan

Thank you for the fedback its nice to know that I have actually helped somebody on the forum.

If I can be any further help please letme knoe

Kindest Regards Sir Roger.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
The Maplin kit is good for what it is. The only downside is that the dish size may be a little inadequate for Scotland, especially as you go further north.

Keep your eyes on Aldi and Lidl as they occassionaly do a sat kit with 60cm dish for about the same price. The satfinder is extra but only costs a fiver. - Tip: invest in a good optical compass - it takes ages of setting up time.

If you go across the channel the DIY sheds (Leroy Merlin at Calais or BricoMan at Boulogne) will do you a complete kit with 80cm dish for about 80_. Just make sure you get one with 5000 or 5500 pre-programmed channels; many of those with less but advertising Astra will only get Astra 1 at 19E with the European channels. To get UK channels you need Astra 2 at 28E.

I use my continental box for lining up - it produces a tone when it gets a sat and the pitch (step) rises with increasing signal strength. When done I then use my $ky box with Freesat card - you could equally use one of the new UK Freesat (like Freeview) boxes although at present they are expensive. Your subscription $ky box will also work although Sky may not be happy if they interogate it for any reason whilst you are away and find it is not there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Does anyone have good advice for a tripod for the Maplins kit. Mine's on it's way and need to get a decent tripod as I will be using the dish a lot (I work away and use the van), many thanks..

Gaz

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
I used my camera tripod but how this will fare during extended use in the British weather conditions is anybody's guess. The kit comes with a suction pad to attach the dish to the window and i might end up having to use that.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
nineteen4ever, I wish I was .

Right I looked at the tripods in Maplins and they seem to be excellent for the job.

I have to say I used the three sucker kit and stuck ours to the side of the van.

It left no marks behind at all

I hope this helps, just one other thing just to be safe in winds pin it to the floor if you buy one.

Regards Sir Roger

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Firstly, I am a total novice to all this satellite stuff and until this year it was a non event. However some very kind chap in the Loire showed me his and I am hooked.

As the above novice, I think I need 3 things: TV (Comet

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Reg. I have looked at that site and found it very useful. I just wanted to make sure that having read the stuff, I was then buying the right kit. Anymore advice would be more than welcome, as I am really ignorant in this area.

Alex

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
One of the points I missed out was that the larger the dish the more difficult it is to set up although obviously when it is set up the signal will be stronger. The comparison is a powerful telescope and a pair of cheap binoculars.

So my advice would be go for the largest dish you actually need rather than the biggest you can get.

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi everybody

Thank you all for advice,Sorry for not repling earlier but have been away for a few weeks. As we do not live locally to either a Lidl or Aldi store it will probably have to be a Maplin system but it seem to fit the bill as far as we are concerned.

Thanks once again for all your replies

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI! GAZ

best tripod 4 ur sat is an old clothes whirly gig strip of the closeline open it out then turn it upside down Instant tripod then go to halfords and get an exhaust clamp of the same size ,then bolt your bracket from your sat to the upturned clothes whirlygig

hope this helps

Duggie

P.S. new small whirlygig fromTesco,s

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Just for clarification.

The difference between analogue and digital TV's is the tuner. Unless it is multi-standard a UK digital TV will (generally) not work in Europe.

A sat box (note that Digi-box is a Sky registered trade mark) does not care whether the TV has an analogue or digital tuner as it supplies the signal through the SCART connecter as video and sound (or via HDMI if you are lucky enough to have HD.)

As for mounting the dish, on a 'normal' caravan towbar if the jockey shaft is replaced by a mounting tube, it only needs to stick up about a metre. The dish may 'point' forwards but it is actually 'looking' quite steeply upwards. For example in the UK it will see the sat over all but the very steepest roofs when mounted 1m above the gutter at the 'wrong' side of the house.

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice about the TV Woody.

However, when one goes into Comet or wherever and speaks to the spotty kid, what sort of tv does one ask for?

I am not being rude, just naive.

Thank you

Alex

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice about the TV Woody.

However, when one goes into Comet or wherever and speaks to the spotty kid, what sort of tv does one ask for?

I am not being rude, just naive.

Thank you

Alex
Alex go into Tesco and get a flatscreen TV and DVD player all in one for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts