satillite tv

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
We are going to france next year and we are looking to buy a satillite system which we can use over there to get english channels we also want to use it here in the u.k so i have a few questions i need answering please.

1. Could i just buy a dish and use my sky+ box with my normal sky+ card.

2. If i can just buy a dish which one would be best for the job.

3. Do i need a pole to mount it on and what type of pole would be best, Can you get a telescopic pole for easy storeage.

Help me please! oh! and im a bit thick so if you could just explain in lehmens terms please.

Thanks,

Andy

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy

Check out this site http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ very comprehensive information. It shows that you do not need expensive gear. Bought my tripod and dish off ebay about

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi cloin,

Thanks colin for the link.

Ive looked on ebay for caravan satelitte equiptment but none ever shows up under which catagory do you look under.

Andy

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
You could try something like this the small dish should work in the north of france. you will not get channel 4 or ITV with this reciever though. You can take your sky+ box but you will need a twin lnb to use the sky+ features. I have heard stories of people having there subscriptions increased by sky when they disconnect their sky+ box from the phone too often. You can also use a standard sky digibox with a freeview card avaliable from sky for i think

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy and Jou - You can buy a satellite dish complete, with LNB, mounting bracket and digital receiver from most DIY stores in France, including, Leroy Merlin, Monsieur Bricolage and Butt (chain stores) and many independants. On average they cost about 79 euros but I have seem them as low as 59. I have also seen them in Spain, but slightly dearer. You will also need to buy some co-axial cable, or take some with you. Plugs are usually supplied with the kit. You can mount the dish on a short mast (also from French DIY stores)which you could attach to your caravan in place of the jockey wheel, but you need to get a clear "view" from the dish to the South East and this can be difficult on some sights which have trees etc. Far better to buy a tripod, which you can get from Max View, through Towsure or other caravan stores in the UK. This gives you much more flexibility as to where to position it for the best signal. The tripod pegs to the ground with three tent pegs. You will be able to get all the free channels including BBC and ITV (including local and regional services - eg Granada, Yorkshire, Meridian etc.), Sky News, but not channel 4 or Five (no great loss).

Hope this helps

Keith

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy and Jou - You can buy a satellite dish complete, with LNB, mounting bracket and digital receiver from most DIY stores in France, including, Leroy Merlin, Monsieur Bricolage and Butt (chain stores) and many independants. On average they cost about 79 euros but I have seem them as low as 59. I have also seen them in Spain, but slightly dearer. You will also need to buy some co-axial cable, or take some with you. Plugs are usually supplied with the kit. You can mount the dish on a short mast (also from French DIY stores)which you could attach to your caravan in place of the jockey wheel, but you need to get a clear "view" from the dish to the South East and this can be difficult on some sights which have trees etc. Far better to buy a tripod, which you can get from Max View, through Towsure or other caravan stores in the UK. This gives you much more flexibility as to where to position it for the best signal. The tripod pegs to the ground with three tent pegs. You will be able to get all the free channels including BBC and ITV (including local and regional services - eg Granada, Yorkshire, Meridian etc.), Sky News, but not channel 4 or Five (no great loss).

Hope this helps

Keith
oops meant 4 and 5

Colin.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy ,answer 1 yes, we use ours ok

2. 600+ dish with 2 lnb connectors as 2 cables are required.

3 you can get a tripod type with extending pole but unless the view to Astra is limited ie tree's etc then one just say a metre high. Abroad,we will be taking it next time as last time we got plain Sky on the old box, cannot see if it would make any differance though .

Goodluck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts