sattelite signal finder

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tom,

Have a look at Amazon - they have a good range at good prices. Delivery is also good. I would also recommend a signal strenth meter to help you get the angle (azimuth) correct.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tom,

Have a look at Amazon - they have a good range at good prices. Delivery is also good. I would also recommend a signal strenth meter to help you get the angle (azimuth) correct.
By the way, instead of paying a high price for a tripod I bought a camera tripod and modified it. It makes it dead easy to set both degree and angle. Simply secure it ti the ground with tent pegs.

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't wast money on expensive.

The main satellites transmit digital signals.

Unlike analogue where the signal strength and the picture match (String signal- good picture, weak signal- snowy picture)

Digital picture is either there (Strong signal) or it isn't (Not strong enough signal).

My way of finding the best signal is this.

Point in the general direction until you get a picture (Trial and error helped by a compass and the TV)

Move the dish right until the picture goes and mark where that is.

Move the dish left. The picture comes back. Keep moving it left until you loose the picture again. Mark that spot.

MOve the dish right until it is half way between the two marks.

Hay presto you are in the middle of the "Sweet spot" of the signal.

Depending on your latitude you may have to do the same thing but in the Up-Down axis.

The picture on the screen is surely the "arbiter absolute". If your meter says you have hit the satellite exacly but you have no picture, or your meter says there is no signal but you can see corrie on the TV which do you believe?

Oh, one rider. There is a satellite near Astra which gives me a string signal but no pictures, so if you don't see anything but the meter does say strong signal you may have aimed at the wrong satellite.

Hope this helps

Rob

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I use the wife as my sat finder.She watches the signal intensity and quality on the telly( the receiver is set on info)whilst I slowly turn the dish.

Bought a basic compass for a couple of quid,set the dish to SSE and then move slowly anticlockwise to get astra 2 at 28.2 degrees.

When its locked on to the satellite I get a shout from the van.

Dont bother with a tripod,as Ive got one of those portable kits which I set up in the awning.

Cheers Richard

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I use a SAT FINDER app on my phone, available for Android and iphones, You tell it which satellite you want, its works out where you are via GPS, and works out the direction for you,Just point dish in that direction, If you turn on the camera you get arrows on screen so if you point it in the direction of satellite and you see clear sky you will get a good signal, if you see trees no wasting time even trying. I then use the signal test on sky box to fine tune, Using this I have never been quicker at setting up and finding a signal.

Stephen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts