Saxo and others experiences.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Saxo, I am glad and envious that your away this weekend. your last couple of postings, requesting for help have, shown up a few things that our caravan manufacturers have maybe dismissed.
1 The jockey wheel. (JW) The majority of folk park on grass, and what is the first thing that happens, we unhook and the JW sink into the ground, and makes the caravan almost Impossible to move.
2. Twin axle Alko wheel locking. Why. Surely just locking one wheel would suffice, it's good enough for a single axle.
3 , Awnings, especially Porch awnings, why is there never really enough gap between the front window and the door.
4 . A properly secure caravan door lock. Just a flimsy thing, a screwdriver can get get the door to open.

The list goes on.
Lastly from me. Why do caravan sites with FSP nearly always have a lampost blocking your reversing onto pitch.
Oh to get away in the van. Soon.
Mr Grumpy( RMK) .
Not the same person as the Happy , Mr Grumpy. 😂

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The answer to 2 wheel locks on twin axle vans is simple. If only a single wheel has a lock on it , and the tyre is deflated the tyre is no longer in contact with the ground, so the caravan can be moved on the remaining (unlocked) wheel.
Caravan door locks are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, I could get into any caravan/motorhome in about 30 seconds regardless of how good, or bad, the door lock is. In fact it's not really worth even locking the door.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Saxo, I am glad and envious that your away this weekend. your last couple of postings, requesting for help have, shown up a few things that our caravan manufacturers have maybe dismissed.
1 The jockey wheel. (JW) The majority of folk park on grass, and what is the first thing that happens, we unhook and the JW sink into the ground, and makes the caravan almost Impossible to move.
2. Twin axle Alko wheel locking. Why. Surely just locking one wheel would suffice, it's good enough for a single axle.
3 , Awnings, especially Porch awnings, why is there never really enough gap between the front window and the door.
4 . A properly secure caravan door lock. Just a flimsy thing, a screwdriver can get get the door to open.

The list goes on.
Lastly from me. Why do caravan sites with FSP nearly always have a lampost blocking your reversing onto pitch.
Oh to get away in the van. Soon.
Mr Grumpy( RMK) .
Not the same person as the Happy , Mr Grumpy. 😂
I think the majority use hard standing? A wide jockey wheel or pneumatic solve the issue or a simple plank under the JW.
It is the insurers requesting both locks to be fitted onto a twin axle. Nothing stopping you fitting just the one and paying the extra insurance.
We have never had the issue of not enough gap between the front window and the door for a porch awning however we have had the porch awning across a rear window.
Even you had an extremely robust door lock it is a simple matter of forcing a window to gain entry.
Never had a lamp post blocking a pitch but in Spain did have a tree blocking the pitch.

Enjoy your next outing. :LOL:

Reactions: Mr Plodd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts