Scary tyre pressures.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Well thats that debate put to bed.No bs,job done.Factual information,cant be argued with.I,ll make sure all my big ones are inflated to the recommended 120psi.Thanks Damian.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had an 04 Sorento which came with Kuhmo tyres as OEM, whereas a friends came with Hankook as OEM. Both reputable Korean makes.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the internet, same thing applies to the word validity if you find it on the internet it must be right right?..
Ok so index load ratings? well these are what tell you what your individual tyre max load [weight is] and there worked out at around 36 psi i say around but strangely not always.... so i will use my car a ford mondeo 2.2tdci..
tyres 205x55x16 [91] the 91 means each tyre can carry 615kg or 1356LBS of weight at 36psi....Sorry have to work in pounds easier... ford" recommend" 32psi front 30 psi rear standard... my car weighs 3250 Ibs my front tyres can carry 2454Ibs at 32 psi or 1227Ibs each.. my rears 2324Ibs at 30 psi or 1162 Ibs each...meaning at normal setting they can carry 4778Ibs for a car that weighs 3258Ibs...if you reduce the tyre pressure by say 10 percent to 29 front and 27 rear.. my car tyres will carry 2270 Ibs or 1135Ibs each on the front and 2138Ibs or 1069 Ibs each on the rear......total 4408 Ibs still way way way above the weight of my car ......so in no way would they be be under inflated ......even though certain websites would suggest 6% under the recommended figures would deem it to be..and yet none use any scientific calculation in the suggestions!
Strange on the one hand a fuss will occur if one uses the word warranty instead of guarantee, but if one dare mention that "recommendation" does not mean de facto! you are jumped upon with all sort of non calculated internet de facto's....no one suggested that recommendations were wrong and thankfully they are on the safe side usually because of the index load tyres fitted to car these day but still theres plenty of internet sites out there offering limited de facto stuff , which is a shame....

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys, hadnt meant to start WW3.

Reverting to my original post, I realise i MISSED a bit of information. The highest pressure the book offers is 50PSI for the rears. The tyres fitted, although new are manufacturers original fitting. The max loading on these tyres is 50PSi. Whilst I accept there will be some redundancy in the margins, I certainly wouldnt be happy running at 50PSI, especially at speed.

Following my recent trip, I tinkered around with those pressures, and also asking other Shogun owners, the consensus was that in this case, the AT towing wasnt referring to the auto box, but actually All Terrain. This said, I took a half way balance between the second and third stated pressures and everything worked like a dream, superb tow and reasonable economy considering the unit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thingy I know the post is over 4 years old but are you still using the same Dunlop tyres. We have Bridgestone Dueler AT and the vehicle seems to be a bit skittish on the motorway. Almost as if it is not gripping the road properly. On our Jeep we had Michelin Cross Climate and they were brilliant in all weather even snow.
Agree about the different pressures and we have 2.6 at the rear and 2.4 in front when towing.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No, when we changed to the Shogun we have now, I got rid of the Dunlops PDQ and have BF Goodrich on, noisy tyre but a vast improvement all round.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:
No, when we changed to the Shogun we have now, I got rid of the Dunlops PDQ and have BF Goodrich on, noisy tyre but a vast improvement all round.

I strongly suspect the tyres are the issue as they do not seem to have a very good grip even in the dry. Maybe need to sell them and get a decent tyre with god grip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts