Scenic kerbweight??????????

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone know the kerbweight of a 2003 1.9dci dynamique scenic. Going in to buy tomorrow but just want to make sure I have my figures correct. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sue,

You need to be more specific with van weight. What is the max weight of van with everything in it? Is 1180ishkg an empty weight?

Maximum towing weight with driver only appears to be 1300kg and kerbweight 1430 kg.

You must not exceed max towing weight braked -if you had an accident your insurance will not pay out.

Happy motoring

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sue,

Contrary to Jo-annes reply, my sources list the Scenic 1.9dci with a kerb weight of 1430 Kg but more importantly the maximum towed mass must not excede 1300Kg

The kerb weight is of little direct use, as it does not represent the cars working weight - especially when towing.

You must check that the gross train weight (fully loaded car + loaded caravan) does not exceed the limit set by the car manufacture.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hello Sue,

Contrary to Jo-annes reply, my sources list the Scenic 1.9dci with a kerb weight of 1430 Kg but more importantly the maximum towed mass must not excede 1300Kg

The kerb weight is of little direct use, as it does not represent the cars working weight - especially when towing.

You must check that the gross train weight (fully loaded car + loaded caravan) does not exceed the limit set by the car manufacture.
i wasnt far out

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sue,

You need to be more specific with van weight. What is the max weight of van with everything in it? Is 1180ishkg an empty weight?

Maximum towing weight with driver only appears to be 1300kg and kerbweight 1430 kg.

You must not exceed max towing weight braked -if you had an accident your insurance will not pay out.

Happy motoring
the miro is 972kg, the mtplm is 1184kg, any good

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hello Sue,

How do we work this all out. Had a sedona and swift challenger which was nowhere near the tow limit, so no need to worry.

We will have a bailey 460/4, miro is 972kg, mtplm is 1184kg, so payload is 212kg. There are 4 of us in the car and we would have normal gear plus 2 bikes for the kids, do I need to weigh everything out here, in the past we were told to make sure the caravan was around 85% of the kerbweight for safe towing as long as the cars max tow limit was more than the kerbweight. How do I find out the gross train weight, not available on the website.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sue

According to my calculations 85% of the kerbweight of your prospective car is 1215 kg so provided you don't overload your van the match is perfect acceptable.

The engine with 120hp should have no problems at all pulling a van of this weight.

Like you I am unable to find any figure for the gross train weight, perhaps Renault do not specify one.

Happy motoring

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sue

I have found some figures on Renault.com website referring to a Scenic 1.6 petrol 115 bhp.

Kerb weight 1280kg

Max towing weight braked 1250kg

Gross train weight 2750kg

As this vehicle is lighter and has a lower towing weight than your prospective purchase logically your new vehicle should have an even higher gross train weight.

If you load your van to its max ie 1184 kg that leaves 1566kg for your vehicle and all its contents.(136kg for passengers and luggage etc)

As my figures relate to a lighter vehicle ,it would be prudent to ascertain the gross train weight b4 you purchase. I would expect it to be at least 50kg more.

Happy motoring

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You will invariably find that published kerbweights are very conservative, i.e. low. The manufacturers usually quote minimum kerbweights of a car without any options. The actual kerbweight can easily be 100kg or even more over the figure quoted in brochures or websites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sue,

The gross train weight is published by the manufacture, it may be in the owners manual or sometimes it is included on a plate fixed to the vehicle, along with axle loads.

I will not try to second guess the figures, as you must check with manufacture.

As Lutz points out, the published kerb weight can be significantly different to the actual figure for your vehicle. The other twist to this is that the way a kerb weight is calculated. It bears little reality to the weight of a vehicle when it is being used, especially when loaded for a holiday. The important figures are the gross train mass, The max vehicle mass and the max trailer mass.

Non of these must be exceeded, and it is important to note that some manufactures GTM is less than the sum of GVM and the MTPLM of the trailer.

The 85% figure that you may hear about is only a sensible guide line, not a legal requirement.

You must seek the relevant figures from the vehicle manufacture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts